Grants

guymommy09

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello I am new here, My hubby found this site to be very informative. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or information on government grants for going green? We are on 6 acres and would like to go green in alot of areas but I have no idea where to begin... Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jen

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hi Jen, and :welcome

Don't know of any grants, maybe someone else does.....but I do know the "going green" is also going frugal and saving lots of money. There are a gazillion ideas on this forum! Spend some time in older threads, even some that may not seem to interest you. We tend to wander off-topic quite a bit!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Be very careful about any websites you find that offer to get you government grants for only dollar or two. They are just scams to get your credit card number,they charge you the 1 or 2 bucks,then, they whack your account with hundreds of dollars of "membership" charges. Just a little FYI.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
You might start with your extension service. And, it depends on what you mean by "going green." I was at a conference last week that described start-up money for folks turning land from conventional to organic production. And, grants for creating wildlife habitat. So, if your plans include things like that, there are already grants out there. As for other ways of being green, I think there are still tax rebates or credits for high efficiency cars, retrofitting houses, putting up solar, etc. Try Googling all of this for a start. And, welcome to Sufficient Self!

guymommy09

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey all Thanks for the advice. I will check out the other threads.
Thanks again for the warm welcome!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Guymommy!

This site is extremely informative and I really love it. I also read quite a little bit on mother earth news, and I see miss_thenorth has already pointed you in that direction.

I keep waivering between getting NZ for meat or some Angora's for their fiber. Rabbits make sense for meat because they breed quickly, but the pansy in me just can't make up my mind to kill the cute little critters. :idunno

They'll still be great for the fiber though and hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to make a small profit or at least break even with them. :fl

I used to live on post and I wish you luck sneaking anything. ;)

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ummmm....

Part of that post is meant for another thread and my computer seems to be on CRACK so I can't edit it.

Please excuse me, forgive me.

Ahem (java seems to be on the fritz)

guymommy09

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you for the information!!
I am about to do anything to make my stay on earth the best I can make it!! If not for me then for my boys!!
Thanks again!!
Jen