Grape pie, anyone? pics added

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever made grape pie? I saw a recipe in my WWII era cookbook but the thought of seeding wild Concord grapes.....well, it never happened. Since I came home with a bit more than a gallon of wild grapes tonight, before adding them to the bag of grapes in the freezer, I decided to look online. Glad I did. The recipes online gave the method, which my cookbook apparently assumed that all good housewives already knew. :lol: Here is what I found (this is the version that I saved to my files, so it doesn't appear exactly in this order....I copied/pasted/edited it down for my files):

Concord Grape Pie I
INGREDIENTS:
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust
pie
5 cups Concord grapes
1 1/4 cups white sugar 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
DIRECTIONS:
1. Wash grapes, and remove the skins. Save the skins. Place grape pulp in a large saucepan; mash a few at the bottom to release their juice. Cook over medium low heat until grapes come to a full boil. Remove pulp from heat, and press through a food mill to remove seeds. Combine pulp and skins in a large bowl. Stir in lemon juice.
2. In a separate bowl, mix sugar, flour, and salt. Stir into grape mixture. Pour filling into pastry crust, and dot with butter or margarine. Cover with second pastry shell. Flute edges, and cut little slits in the top crust for steam to escape.
3. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in top crust. Cool.

Comments:

Just a note about peeling the grapes: it isn't difficult! It's very easy and you can even get your children in on the act. Holding the grape, point the eye (where the stem was attached) toward the bowl, and SQUEEZE! The grape pops right out of the skin and into the bowl. (Concord grapes are of the "slip skin" variety, so named because the skins will slip right off.)

Use much less sugar

Use more flour or thicken with cornstarch

Use a bit more lemon juice

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/concord-grape-pie-i/detail.aspx?washelp=1&rid=201225#201225

Another version, same method:
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups seedless grapes
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
I pinched grapes in front of the tv (the original True Grit!) and then did the simmering of the pulp. I put it through my Memere's food mill thingy....what is it called....that conical metal thing with tiny holes that comes with a stand and a wooden pounder. It is a type of food mill, I think. It worked great!

I did 5-6 cups, then put the pulp back with the skins and added flour, salt, and 3-4 squirts of stevia. I also squeezed in the juice of half a lime (my lemons were old and bad) and put it in the fridge to make two pies tomorrow. Or make one and freeze the rest for later. Haven't decided yet, but I need to know FAST how much effort I need to put into picking more grapes. :D

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I thought about doing a grape pie when we harvested ours but I think I was too busy or something and threw them in the dehydrator. Sounds super yummy! I can't wait to hear how it tastes!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My MIL used to make them every year, one to eat and as many as she could get into the freezer. I have her recipe but haven't ever done it. Yours looks like it might be identical. I'd say go for it. It's one of the best pies I've ever had!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes it does.
I'd have a hard time keeping enough grapes around to make the pie. I grew up with concord grapes. As soon as they looked like they were even close to being ripe, I was out grazing. My mom used to yell at me all the time, saying the dog probably peed on them. :D I knew he couldn't hit the high ones!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wild grape pie with cheddar cheese curds (there is no such thing as a failed cheese!):

grapepie015.jpg

grapepie009.jpg

TheBrumstead

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I remember going to a great-aunt's house to battle spiders and pick grapes. My grandma and mom would make grape pie, yummy! I found out that a local farmstand just got Concords in... I might have to split a bushel with my mom. She can make a pie, I might can the rest. I can't stand store bought grape jelly.