great pyrenees dog - you got one?

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mark, thank you - I read very carefully all the advice, questions and answers you share on this forum.....we are in our 70's living as frugally as possible and so good to get the help and support from such good people as are on this forum....to all who read this....THANK YOU....

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got a call -- owner decided to keep the dog...am disappointed but if it didn't happen it wasn't for us... Thank you for all the responses....G

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have four. Best livestock security you can get. So, while this one fell through, I would definitely recommend you try one for your place. Get a pup and train it up right. Here is the best resource I have found for training and care...

http://www.amazon.com/Livestock-Protection-Dogs-Selection-Training/dp/1577790626

There is also an LGD email list to which I belong.

Electric fencing works wonders keeping them on the place.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Reviving this thread because we got a Great Pyrenees pup from our neighbor this winter and she (my neighbor) has new pups again (we live in Western Washington and if anyone is interested in pups they can pm me).

I just want to say that we are really impressed with our Great Pyrenees. We have been working on training her from day one (potty training and basic commands) and now she picks up on new training very very quickly.

Someone from BYC forum who I met years ago told me that their Great Pyrenees could chase off eagles. I was impressed, but still not convinced I wanted one. But it just worked out for us that when we were open to the idea of getting a puppy our neighbor had just had a litter of puppies.

Recently we lost a duck to an eagle attack. The eagle was bold and chose to luncheon on our duck right where it caught it. I found the eagle sitting on a fence post and just a pile of feathers. The eagle flew up in a tree and waited for me to leave. I got our Great Pyrenees, and brought her along while I charged after the eagle with a long pole and screamed out a war cry (not something I am prone to do). ;) Our Great Pyrenees got the idea and bounded off after the eagle, barking. I went into the house to get her a treat. I came back and she had found the duck's body and brought it out. I asked her to drop it and leave it and gave her a treat. I was very worried she would get a taste for duck. Not long after that the eagle came back and so I took her out to chase it down a second time with me (war cries and all). Several days later when the eagle came back around and both my husband and I were inside having breakfast, she chased an eagle off all by herself! :love And she does not attempt to chase ducks unless they are misbehaving and I give her cues that it is ok to break up the rowdy ducks. She does not see them as food. Now she scans the sky and chases any large birds that linger over us (ravens, crows, hawks, etc.).

We have some ducklings that one of our ducks hatched out not long ago and I was very nervous about how our Great Pyrenees would do around the baby ducks. I was trying to keep them separate until I could monitor the situation, but one day I was just running on routine and forgot to keep our Great Pyrenees away from the ducklings. As soon as I remembered and headed back for the ducklings, I heard momma duck raising a ruckus and the next thing I knew our Great Pyrenees came tearing around the corner of the barn, all in a dither. :lol: She has been very respectful of momma and babies ever since. :D

We do have to work around her independent streak and just be persistent with her when she doesn't want to follow commands (often she doesn't feel like sitting right away when we tell her to). But since her intentions are basically good, she is a welcome member of the family.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Good pup! :D They are wonderful animals. I love it when one of us is standing in the yard, and our pyr comes up, sits down next to us, and then just leans her whole body over against our leg as if she was leaning against a lamp post. Post a couple of pictures sometimes.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
....brought her along while I charged after the eagle with a long pole and screamed out a war cry
whooot! thats the way to get 'er done baby!!! now just throw the axe.....

;-)

just kiddin..

our Ti helps me with hawk patrol... dogs get that for sure. Kai just figured out there are things in the sky - now she sits and watches airplanes. hee hee hee

great work baby!
:)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Let me see if I can pull up a picture . . .

Meanwhile, hee hee OFG, I thought you would be proud, while I was out there chasing the eagle! As it isn't wood heating season, I didn't have an axe handy, just the white PVC pipe that we use as our duck herding pole. It is probably 8 feet or so long. I think the eagle found it intimidating. :lol:

ETA: Here is a picture of her when she was about 4 months old. I need to get a more current one. :hide
458_kaylas.jpg