Great recipe for Pumpkin Butter

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I remember someone asking for a recipe for pumpkin butter. I found this on the internet and tried it. It was very good. Does not make a ton but I will be making more!!

Pumpkin Butter
1 can 29oz pumpkin
3/4 c. apple juice
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 1/3 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Combine ppumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a saucepan, stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes stirring frequently. After cooking adjust spices to taste. Add lemon juice and mix well.

Spoon into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and process 10 min in a hot water bath.

I put mine into half pints. It doesn't make much but like I said it is very good. I think next time I will at least double the recipe. I am thinking this would make a nice gift.

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This looks wonderful! I'll be sure to try it this fall. Thanks for sharing!

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The recipe looks yummy! But note of caution: Pumpkin has a pH of 5.0--NOT an acid food!!! Pumpkin butter itself is too dense to even pressure can; freezing, not canning, is recommended by the USDA. I recently finished a Master Food Preserver's class through the U of WI extension and the (not) canning of pumpkin butter was actually a topic that was addressed.

Vikki

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad I checked back to old threads. This looks delicious.

I am thinking of making it with butternut squash. I have so much! I plan to prep the butternut in chunks, pressure can it using NCHFP instructions, and puree it when I open the jar.