Green and yellow beans-- to can or freeze

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hi, I have never canned or froze beans before. I do have the supplies to can, butwant to use most of my jars for tomatoes, salsa etc.

I also do have the freezer space, but would like to know what all here is preferred--canned or frozen beans.
Thanks!

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I, myself, mainly can because I don't wan to rely on electricity. Ever had a full freezer and your power be out for 3 or more days? That's why I can all my fruits and veggies. You can always buy more jars.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If your electric is reliable and you've got the space, personally I think they're much better frozen than canned. In terms of taste and texture.

I certainly agree with the previous poster though if there is a possibility of losing your frozen stuff!

Have fun,

Pat, where we ate our first six :p green beans tonight.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Losing electricity is not an issue here, and IF it does go out--we have a generator. So for blanching beans, afterwards, would you recommend flash freezing?

I prefer frozen beans from the grocery store, kids prefer canned (go figure), so if they will be good like the grocery store, then I'll be happy!

Thanks!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I prefer frozen green beans also.
MIL always cans these and they are tasty but frozen is better to me....she gives me many pints and quarts so I do have a great supply thru winter.

Canned veggies have so much sodium and wow, I can't handle that taste. So yup, if I ever need to buy veggies I buy frozen.

Red Tie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Canning beans requires pressure canning and I just think it takes away some of the flavor and texture. Home frozen are much better than store bought and if power isn't an issue, freeze! I actually do both, just in case but prefer the frozen by far. My freezer is usually full of roasting chickens and turkeys, beef etc. I do can quite a bit of chicken as well to have on hand.

Jane

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have frozen green beans before but when I cooked them they were slightly mushy, what did I do wrong and how do y'all freeze your beans. Step by step instuctions please. :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
I have frozen green beans before but when I cooked them they were slightly mushy, what did I do wrong and how do y'all freeze your beans. Step by step instuctions please. :D
All I did was trim the beans, wash them real good, dried them on a towel on the front porch, then put them on a cookie sheet to flash freeze them. Then I put them in a bag and put them in the freezer.

I considered blanching them, but other ppl had just froze them with good results. I have used the cookie sheet method with other things such as aparagus, with good results, so I tried m beans this way.

If you DO blanch them, I know it is important to cool them >quickly<.