Green Enchilada Sauce

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This recipe is for Green Enchilada Sauce.

2468_green_enchilada_sauce.jpg

Notice the tomatillos. I believe some people call them husk tomatoes. They are really a berry. When you buy them, you just peel off that papery husk.

2468_green_enchilada_sauce_3.jpg

Place 1 lb. of tomatillos and 1 jalapeno in just enough water to cover them. Boil until the tomatillos are soft and squishy. This won't take more than about 15 minutes. (yes you will notice I have many more than 1 jalapeno in there - I will make a mild salsa for my children, and then add in extra jalapenos for my husband's palate)

2468_green_enchilada_sauce_4.jpg

Place all the tomatillos and one jalapeno in the blender. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth if you have it - if not, add that amount of the water you just boiled the tomatillos in. Add two cloves of garlic (I usually finely dice it first). Cover and blend. Add a pinch of salt and taste it to see if the salsa needs more salt and also if it is spicy enough for you. Isn't it a beautiful color? Exactly the same shade of green as jadite dishes.

In a medium sized pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil (your choice). Add the salsa you just blended and cook 5 minutes.
YOU JUST MADE SALSA!!!

NOW THE ENCHILADAS: I am assuming most of you know how to make an enchilada - but you know what they say about backside-Ume. If anyone is interested in a recipe to make enchiladas, let me know and I will post one.

CAUTION #1 You probably already know this but don't ever blend hot liquids. The top on the blender will fly off and hot stuff will be flung to kingdom come. Yes, I found this out the hard way when I was first learning to cook.
CAUTION #2 Chiles have capsaicin in them - that is what makes them spicy. This is in an oil so try not to get it on your skin. Some people wear rubber gloves. I do not. However, I wash my hands thorougly after handling chiles and I never, ever rub my eyes. Yes, I learned this one the hard way also.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
The version from Nourishing Traditions:

2 onions, chopped
8 tomatillos, finely chopped
3 anaheim chiles, seeded and chopped
2 small jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 T EVOO
1.75 cups chicken broth
pinch of sea salt
1 bunch cilantro, chopped

Saute onions in olive oil. Add tomatillos and chiles and saute several minutes. Add stock, garlic, salt, and boil. Simmer 30 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Remove and stir in cilantro. Process in food processor until smooth. Reheat gently.

I'm freezing my extra :) It's not acidic enough to can.

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rathbone said:
This recipe is for Green Enchilada Sauce.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2468_green_enchilada_sauce.jpg
Notice the tomatillos. I believe some people call them husk tomatoes. They are really a berry. When you buy them, you just peel off that papery husk.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2468_green_enchilada_sauce_3.jpg
Place 1 lb. of tomatillos and 1 jalapeno in just enough water to cover them. Boil until the tomatillos are soft and squishy. This won't take more than about 15 minutes. (yes you will notice I have many more than 1 jalapeno in there - I will make a mild salsa for my children, and then add in extra jalapenos for my husband's palate)

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2468_green_enchilada_sauce_4.jpg
Place all the tomatillos and one jalapeno in the blender. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth if you have it - if not, add that amount of the water you just boiled the tomatillos in. Add two cloves of garlic (I usually finely dice it first). Cover and blend. Add a pinch of salt and taste it to see if the salsa needs more salt and also if it is spicy enough for you. Isn't it a beautiful color? Exactly the same shade of green as jadite dishes.

In a medium sized pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil (your choice). Add the salsa you just blended and cook 5 minutes.
YOU JUST MADE SALSA!!!

NOW THE ENCHILADAS: I am assuming most of you know how to make an enchilada - but you know what they say about backside-Ume. If anyone is interested in a recipe to make enchiladas, let me know and I will post one.

CAUTION #1 You probably already know this but don't ever blend hot liquids. The top on the blender will fly off and hot stuff will be flung to kingdom come. Yes, I found this out the hard way when I was first learning to cook.
CAUTION #2 Chiles have capsaicin in them - that is what makes them spicy. This is in an oil so try not to get it on your skin. Some people wear rubber gloves. I do not. However, I wash my hands thorougly after handling chiles and I never, ever rub my eyes. Yes, I learned this one the hard way also.
My DH is going to flip out over this recipe - we usually cheat and buy the canned kind at the market. I'll be picking the fresh ingredients up TODAY!
Will let you know what he thinks... :)

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CabinChick - I always made homemade red sauce but I didn't know how to make the green until now so of course I always bought green. I like red sauce on cheese and beef enchiladas but IMHO green is the only thing that will do for chicken enchiladas. My hubby taught me this weekend. So be sure to let me know what your hubby thinks.
Abifae -What is EVOO? Your recipe sounds good - I will have to try adding cilantro.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Extra virgin olive oil :)

recipe for red sauce please????

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I finally got around to making this sauce tonight. Wanted to wait to get fresh jalapenos from the local Farmer's Market. Bought the tomatillos at Safeway - not a great selection at all, half of them were over ripe.
I put in 2 jalapenos instead of one, but the sauce is still mild. I don't think they grow jalapenos here like they do in CA!! :lol: The jalapenos we grew in are garden were smokin' hot! So next time I'll add a couple more..
But overall the recipe was great. DH and I don't care for Cilantro, except in Thai food. DH is more than pleased! I just made the sauce as a salsa to go with some home baked tortilla chips. Ohhhh so much better than store bought! :thumbsup
And always use EVOO :D

Bring on that red sauce recipe!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am going to try this recipe the next time I want verde sauce. I love, love, love verde on tamales! The one time I made it, it was really bitter. I used a recipe from Food Network. I think it was the limes though. Whenever I use limes from the place I bought them they are always bitter. It did not call for chicken broth.

Interestingly enough the limes was from the local Mexican market. I now buy limes from the Chinese market, lol. Cheaper at the Chinese market too boot. Win, win...

Thanks for sharing your salsa verde recipes.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@abifae and @cabinchick The best evoo is, in my opinion

first cold pressed
should be labled "Pure" and not mixed with other oils
in a clear glass of some good depth is will be GREEN looking

Some are packaged in green bottles or cans. You have to learn what comes out of these things. They don't put them in these things to make it hard for you but rather to help preserve the oil so it does not get so much light.

Some may disagree but I only have this in my house and will add my own butter or vegetable oils if I want.

I keep 2 2 gallon cans in my pantry at all times....I love it and do everything with it.