grocery store onions

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i strictly did this on a whim

i buy onions by the bags but i rarely get all of them cooked before they go rotten...i usually always end up with 2 to throw away

NOT THIS TIME

i took those 2 rotten onions to the dirt three days ago and they are already rooting and i see what is about to be a shoot.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I currently have one in my kitchen windowsill as well :cool:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
elijahboy said:

i buy onions by the bags but i rarely get all of them cooked before they go rotten...i usually always end up with 2 to throw away

NOT THIS TIME

i took those 2 rotten onions to the dirt three days ago and they are already rooting and i see what is about to be a shoot.
GREAT I haver often wondered about that, but never had any luck, I always thought it was due to them being produced under different growing conditions.

+ ,, f

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so far i have rooted

rosemary
potatoes
onions
sweet potatoes all from the grocery store

oh and PLENTY of bellpepper seeds that are just starting to come up

pretty cool huh

there was another herb that i rooted but cant remember

~gd said:
elijahboy said:

NOT THIS TIME

GREAT I haver often wondered about that, but never had any luck, I always thought it was due to them being produced under different growing conditions.

+ ,, f

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
~gd said:
Saw a video that a little girl did an experiment on sweet potatoes doing that sort of thing. Bought one at the store, brought it home and set it in water, and it wouldn't sprout. Went back and spoke with someone that dealt with local produce, and often times the conventional stuff won't sprout. She tried it with an organic potato and had amazing results.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Recently read a article that says to cut the bottom off of celery and plant that. It works!

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have done that with onions too. Right now, I have sweet potatoes that have rooted and vined, pumpkins in the middle of the yard where they sat on top of a bail of hay for a fall decoration, a parsley plant that was almost 5 feet tall until I trimmed it back, I've seen the ends of romain lettuce start sprouting after being thrown into the garden too. These were all 'accidental' growth. They were thrown into the garden area to see what happened. I've grown garlic from store-bought cloves that didn't get used and started to sprout green, they grew into full plants. We throw lots of vegetable scraps into the garden and later we get to guess what is growing.

Surprise gardening is so much fun!

Latest posts