Ground turkey - DIY?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, since turkey is much cheaper when purchased as a whole turkey, and since ground turkey is so darned expensive, I've been thinking about buying whole turkey and grinding my own. We've got the food saver and can borrow a meat-grinder or two. Now, what all can we toss into the grinder? Can we just get all of the meat off and grind it ALL? I'm assuming that the skin would be removed before grinding.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey we just did this and it worked GREAT! we had one last $5 turkey from thanksgiving. we used the grinding attachment for the kitchenaide. it was a cinch.

we ended up making turkey x pork meatballs, cooking them, then freezing for a QUICK supper at any time

:)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks a million! Then I can either make broth out of the leftovers or give it to the dog. :D I'm so excited. Now I need to wait for a good turkey sale, then borrow a grinder. :D Shame I hadn't thought about this closer to the end of Thanksgiving. :/ Oh well, spring turkey season is coming up soon too (or maybe it's in now, I'd better figure that out...)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey we just did this and it worked GREAT! we had one last $5 turkey from thanksgiving. we used the grinding attachment for the kitchenaide. it was a cinch.

we ended up making turkey x pork meatballs, cooking them, then freezing for a QUICK supper at any time

:)
About how much did you get from how big of a turkey? I'm assuming that the meat weight would be fairly high, considering that the bones are so light.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we got a lot - probably 6 or 8 pounds??

but

we took half the breast and roasted it up...and i wasnt too particular about trimming the bones. i got almost 8 cups of hearty stock, 4 pints of additional meat, then two tubs (glad lock) of 'leavin's' for the cats.

this is so my new favorite thing! and i'm startin to look at our bourbon red turks out there in the yard.. humm.....

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder what ground quail would taste like... Lol. The future BIL used to raise turkeys, but, alas, he got out of them before I met the guys. :/