Groundhogs

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
fisherman said:
Has anyone ever used a 17 caliber to harvest groundhogs?
I don't harvest groundhogs but I beleive the .172 is the gun of choise, Was this any help?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
No, unfortunately, I have not. Last time I got me a groundhog was with my bow. Not a perfect shot at all, but it got him. Sorry, that was of no help whatsoever.

fisherman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
~gd said:
fisherman said:
Has anyone ever used a 17 caliber to harvest groundhogs?
I don't harvest groundhogs but I beleive the .172 is the gun of choise, Was this any help?
I have taken my share of groundhogs with a 22 and 22 magnum over the years,raccoons and coyotes also,I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the 17 caliber

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I may not be a hunter but in 78' when thinking of moving to Alaska I did a lot of research on hunting rifles and the 17 was always mentioned as a top notch varmint gun by every gun store I visited. I ultimately bought a 30-30 and a 300 magnum and never moved, at $2 a shell the 300 was too costly to shoot unless a grizzly bear was eying me up for lunch.

I ate my fair share of fresh groundhog and porcupine when in South America. The host could not pronounce porcupine and after me asking what the tiny delicious ribs were showed me the word in his translation book.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
:D

I have a Savage 93r17 with a thumb-hole stock. I topped it with a Bushnell,3.5-10 x 36mm "dusk to dawn" glass.
It is the flattest shooting rim fire I have ever seen. I regularly take hogs out to 200 yards with my setup. I haven't pushed it any farther yet because of hunting location.
Around here, nobody eats them, so I have no clue as to how to prep them or how to cook them. I use the ballistic tip Hornady ammo, so shot placement would be critical if you wanted to have anything left to cook. :lol:

fisherman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:

I have a Savage 93r17 with a thumb-hole stock. I topped it with a Bushnell,3.5-10 x 36mm "dusk to dawn" glass.
It is the flattest shooting rim fire I have ever seen. I regularly take hogs out to 200 yards with my setup. I haven't pushed it any farther yet because of hunting location.
Around here, nobody eats them, so I have no clue as to how to prep them or how to cook them. I use the ballistic tip Hornady ammo, so shot placement would be critical if you wanted to have anything left to cook. :lol:
skin,cut up into = parts,parboil untill the meat is tender,fry bacon and put the meat in the bacon fat,add salt and pepper to season..a bit of onion salt,dash of garlic powder..brown and serve with green beans,mashed potatoes and cornbread,,mighty tasty,raccoon and mud turtle can be prepaired the same way,thanks

fisherman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
fisherman said:
SKR8PN said:

skin,cut up into = parts,parboil untill the meat is tender,fry bacon and put the meat in the bacon fat,add salt and pepper to season..a bit of onion salt,dash of garlic powder..brown and serve with green beans,mashed potatoes and cornbread,,mighty tasty,raccoon and mud turtle can be prepaired the same way,thanks
answer to my own question,,yes the 17 is a great groundhog rifle,at 75 yards the little bullet knocked the pest flat,This varmit won't eat anynore of my vegetables.R.I.P groundhog

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We always prepared groundhog just like we did squirrel....little difference except size and the hogs seem a little greasier. Coon is greasier than squirrel also.

fisherman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
We always prepared groundhog just like we did squirrel....little difference except size and the hogs seem a little greasier. Coon is greasier than squirrel also.
He is going to be the guest of honor at my house for dinner tomorrow,with turnip greens,creamed potatoes and cornbread ;)

Latest posts