growers of grain-Triticale

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday I was busy planting stuff in the veggie garden and as usual checking in my "Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening" book by Louise Riotte and happened to stumble on this.....(maybe many of you already know this, but I was floored)

Triticale (Triticale). The International Wheat and Maize Center of Mexico has produced a new grain, triticale, by crossing wheat and rye, gaining the high yield of wheat and the disease and drought-resistance of rye. This was accomplished by the tedious process of cross-fertilization among different species. By nurturing the resulting embryo and chemically causing its chromosomes to duplicate themselves, they succeeded in producing fertile plants bearing the characteristics of both parents. A delicious bread made from triticale is now obtainable in many grocery stores throughout the Southwest. The flour's baking qualities are better than rye's.
Triticale (pronounced trit-i-kay-lee)as a man-made cross deprives from the scientific names for wheat and rye, "triticum" and "secale." It has a higher protein content and protein efficiency ratio than either wheat or corn---comparable to soy concentrate---and it is also higher than wheat in lysine and methionine, two of the life-sustaining amino acids. Triticale has shown the ability to produce two or three times as much per acre as either wheat or rye and can be grown anywhere in the world where wheat is found. The grain is being improved constantly as new strains are developed at various experiment stations throughout the country.

or is this just a common way of hybridizing? Also note, this book was published in the mid 70's

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've recently been looking for triticale. I want to use some in bread. Bob's Red Mill no longer carries it but I found it here in case anyone else is looking. Apparently it is commonly also used in livestock feed.
@Britesea, I think I saw a comment from you on this? Do you know where else it can be found? https://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/

If anyone else has baked with this or eaten the berries I'd love to see what you thought of it. Apparently it has more fiber and protein than either wheat or rye, but has less gluten than wheat. I'm looking for organic only.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks @Mini Horses. Do you know if this is just seed to plant or can it be eaten? I want to grind some up and use it to bake bread but have never tried it in bread before.