Growing cherry trees from seeds

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I bought some fresh cherries a few weeks ago and kept three of the seeds. Looking at it yesterday I decided to try and grow some trees. I want to plant a cherry tree here anyway, so…. According to an online guide I read I need to:

"Refrigerate cherry seeds for one to five months in a container filled with moist peat moss or sand. Prunus serotina, for example, requires only one to two months of cold stratification, while Prunus avium requires closer to four months of cold stratification. The refrigerator should be set slightly cooler than 40 degrees Fahrenheit, preferably around 37 degrees...

Check on the seeds one to two times a week, especially during the last several weeks of the chilling process. Keep the medium in which the seed is stored moist. If the seeds begin to crack, plant immediately...

Sow cherry seeds outdoors in the garden in loamy soil in full sunlight. Space seeds about 12 inches apart and thin or transplant in one to two years. Alternatively, sow each seed in a 4-inch planting pot filled with potting soil and set in a sunny location, such as a windowsill. Sow seeds 1/2 inch deep and water the soil so it is slightly moist.

Keep the soil moist until germination, which will likely occur within two months. If the seeds are planted outdoors during the winter, they will germinate in spring as the weather warms."

Now, looking at the last bit here and thinking I've yet to see a tree put its seed in a fridge, I'm going to put the three seeds I saved in the soil and mark the spot and see what happens when it warms up out there. With the frequent rain and snow now and then the soil is kept moist at the moment and it's fridge cold most of the time out there too. Close enough IMO.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Turns out I had four seeds, so I dug over two small areas and put two seeds in each spot. Hopefully in a few months I'll have a baby tree or two :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have broccoli!

image.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol - whoops - meant to post that on my thread, but...

Don't be too envious, it's not that big, but I do have another one that will be ready in a couple days.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to grow cole crops all winter in Livingston......160 miles north, they freeze and die... :hit

Nice broccoli, you did good when you got it planted, especially with all you had going on.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, would a cold frame work for you, maybe? You know, enough for "just" a meal or two.

Sumi, I wish you luck with the cherry trees. When it comes to trees, I am not at the start from seed stage anymore. I want it old enough to produce right away! :p 3-4 months I can do but, 3-4 yrs seems too far. Veggies work.

In about 3 weeks I can start seeds for early crops........& tomatoes, peppers for March set out :celebrate

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, would a cold frame work for you, maybe? You know, enough for "just" a meal or two.
Maybe someday I'll get my greenhouse set up, figure out a heating system and have my winter veggies again.