Growing raspberries down a hill.

OffGridWannaBe

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Can I grow raspberries down a hill? Or will I have to terrace it? My garden is all slope. Currently my raspberries are in pots or living in my parent s vegetable garden. Along with my asparagus and blackberries. I have set some blackberries along the fence line but the soil is terrible and they are not doing too well yet.

So, raspberries down the hill or not? I'd have to clear weeds and the attempt of lawn grass someone planted and the wild grass that is invading. The wild grass is not indigenous and it is terrible to get out and takes over everything.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Can you safely operate a lawn mower and rototiller on that hill. for maintaining it.

Raspberries grow everywhere. They're like an invasive species. The question isn't if they can grow there, but how you're going to keep them from taking over! :)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like u need some swells. (Im not sure if thats how it is spelled)

OffGridWannaBe

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I can't use the lawnmower there. It's too heavy for me and runs away down the hill. Right now I just cut the grass with shears when I have a chance. I'd much rather have raspberries taking over than horrid grass!

Will look up swales.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You are going to have to dig out that grass and make sure you remove every last bit of root. The raspberries will do fine, as long as they have decent soil to dip their toes into and water, they will grow well for you.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I can't use the lawnmower there. It's too heavy for me and runs away down the hill. Right now I just cut the grass with shears when I have a chance. I'd much rather have raspberries taking over than horrid grass!

Will look up swales.

so... how about a couple goats? There's a [formerly brushy] hillside on my farm. The former owner fenced it in for goats. We got the goats with the farm. :) They've killed off the brush. We can graze sheep there now.

OffGridWannaBe

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
so... how about a couple goats? There's a [formerly brushy] hillside on my farm. The former owner fenced it in for goats. We got the goats with the farm. :) They've killed off the brush. We can graze sheep there now.
Not allowed goats unfortunately. Need 2 acres here to have a goat. I'm going to just have to cut it as short as possible and then have my gardener (once a month) help me dig it all out.

OffGridWannaBe

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm also thinking maybe hardy herbs and indigenous water-wise flowers. That would attract bees. Hoping to one day have a beehive in the garden so it's a start.