Growing vegetables in containers/bags

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
For those with limited space this could be a good option, but for us this round is simply an experiment. DH is keeping it simple with some zucchini and some bush beans only this season, though we've had huge success growing peppers this way in the past.

(Don't look at the weeds ;) )

IMG_0155.jpg
ss.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are looking good! I've grown stuff this way too, and if fact this is what I do with my "invasive" plants like horseradish and nettles- keeps things under control. The only part I don't like is having to water every single day (sometimes twice if the heat and winds pick up).

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have my sweet taters in a container, and am trying to grow some white potatoes as well. And once I have the time to get it set up, I'm planning on trying a few other things in containers so I have some fresh veggies over the winter.

WendyJ

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm only able to do containers for now, so look forward to watching this progress. I tried both potatoes and sweet potatoes, the sweet potatoes did okay considering I did them late, and that the experts say it isn't warm enough here for them to grow. :tongue

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
this is how i grow things in containers. the good news is that it holds two tomato plants nicely and the wire cage is make out of concrete reinforcing wire and have lasted for years. since the wire goes all the way to the ground they don't have to be staked to make sure they don't fall. the pipe in the middle is how i water them. there are holes on the bottom half of the pipe that lets the water disperse slowly so the water goes deep and not just on the surface. i usually mulch with newspaper and grass. works out pretty well. i also plant 2-3 cucumber plants in a barrel and let them climb up the wire. works great for any climbing plants and for non climbers i just take the wire off and plant away. i don't like to plant things like corn or okra nor do i like beets or carrots but most everything works ok. the down side to using the half barrels is that once you have them filled with dirt they are heavy and hard to move. i have also planted some things in 5 gallon buckets, mostly peppers, a single tomato and a single summer bush squash. every fall i add more goat manure from the barn and let sit over the winter then start planting again in the spring
IMG_0218.JPG

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is a neat idea, goatgurl. I'll keep that in mind for tomatoes and cukes. Our squash plants are making fruit :)

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yea!! you're getting fresh squash soon. the little stubs you saw in the tubs is what is left of the tomatoes after i let the buck eat them. after my mom got sick and died this summer i kind of let things go to heck in a hand basket so I've got a lot of cleaning up and repairing to do before spring

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm so sorry :hugs

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
thanks @sumi, she was 92 and had a good life and was very active until the last year of her life. was still running the weedeater until about 3 years ago. an amazing woman and i miss her everyday but she was so at peace with her own passing. she was ready to go and died like she lived, with grace. her passing has changed a lot of how i do things now though and i am behind on lots of things. i just have to put on my big girl panties and get busy but after having her here for the last 12 years its hard some days.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@goatgurl She does sound like an amazing woman. I'm sure she left a huge gap with her passing :hugs