Guess I'll try again.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello all,
It has been a while since I kept a journal here. I was having some difficulty with a few less than desirable people who felt it was their business to attempt to censor what I wrote because it exposed not only their inadequacy but their despicable behavior.
Since then I managed to move on. I did have to have the journal pulled down because a woman with evil intent was attempting to cause me problems and I decided to just get it down rather than have to take her to court. I despise that kind of nonsense but I know what she was up to was no good.

Since I last wrote things have moved forward on the farm. All the buildings now have steel roof so I am no longer worried about leaking roofs and water damage to my buildings. Not much work has been done on the canning shed but then I have been quite busy with work and that has kept me about 100 miles away from home for about 4 days a week. That is now over so I can be home more often and just work one or two weekends as I need.

I did manage to continue my approach to self-sufficiency and my dog, Buddy is being himself, but not the least helpful. He is such a demanding soul. He would play "fetch the stick 24/7/365 if I could do it...which I can not. My right arm can't throw overhand since an injury in Viet Nam when I had to throw some frags one night to protect my patients. I had been instructed on the "proper way to throw them" but I don't think the enemy was willing to wait till I had "assumed the position" so I threw them as hard as I could and I hurt my rotator cuff. Now I can't throw a baseball without pain...which is a bummer because I used to have a pretty good arm as a kid. All that is in the past now but Buddy still wants to chase that stick...so I try.

Monday was interesting. I went to see my friend who is for all intents and purposes the 21st century blacksmith (in a way) because he makes things out of steel (he calls it IRON). I had told him several months ago about wanting to make a rocket stove big enough to heat my metal shop which has about 900 square feet (roughly 30 x 30) I gave him a copy of the plans that ZeroFossilFuel drew up and photographed of his shop heater which was similar to the "rocket mass heater" but somewhat more sophisticated in some areas of design. He liked the idea but because he has sold his farm, he is getting out of the "making things" business and has been spending all his time, taking things apart and getting rid of all that he has collected over his life time so he can live in town. This was NOT a happy thing for him but his heart is giving him difficulty so his wife put her foot down. He still goes to the shop every day but is working to dissolve his entire life of working with steel...an activity that clearly "breaks his heart" from a different perspective.

At any rate, when I got there he showed me a piece of 6" square steel tubing that was 1/4" thick and about six feet long. He suggested I try making one of the rocket stoves out of that before I started cutting up 20 foot lengths of 5" square steel tubing. 1/4" thick steel is not going to "burn through" in MY lifetime...you can bet on that. :thumbsup

I did a couple of quick calculations and told him how long to make the cuts since he has a power hack saw that cuts accurately on the 45* angle. We cut that tubing into three pieces each on the 45* and stood them up to look like the "J" of a rocket mass heater. The cuts were amazingly accurate so we welded them together and I took it home.

So today, I set this monster up. (yes, it weighs nearly 100 pounds but I was able to lift it a short distance) I put it up on top of a pedestal I made out of concrete blocks and supported it with some more concrete blocks. I took some paper and a few small dry pieces of 2x4 that were cut off at the corners and put them into it. I lit the paper and the wood began to burn but for quite a while the fire was coming back toward the short part of the "J" not going up the long side. I spent a little more time on it and before too long, I had this thing buring like the Rocket stove it is designed to be. I have an infra-red thermometer and places on the pipes were greater than 500*. The thermometer only goes up to 500* and I know that the one part where the long side of the "J" goes up was at least 497* in one spot.

I surmised that the problem with getting the combustion chamber to draw the fire in was that the temperature of the tubing was still quite cool...in relative terms (it was about 80*F in the shop today.) No problem with it though after I got the entire tubing hotter. In fact, I was able to put a 5" log in the combustion chamber and it burned beautifully. I was amazed that I was able to put such a large piece of wood into the chamber but that is why I made it out of 6" tubing.

I got a hot water heater tank which is about 17" in diameter for the outside of the heater and found some chimney flu that is 8" square for surrounding the upright which will be filled with the insulating material (either vermiculite or perlite). When I cover this thing with the water heater tank, it will be rather large so I have to put it in one place and then leave it there. My guess is that with the 900 sq. ft floor space and the 20 foot high ceiling (think quonset hut) I am convinced that this thing will be able to heat my shop so I can work in it during the winter. I am somewhat concerned about clean out because of how long I need to keep a fire going while I work in there but I do believe it will overcome much of the -25*F on those days and the average 17*F on the other days. I will see what it takes. Surely there will be enough heat to work but I don't know what will happen when I leave at night unless I put a really big log in it and do what I can to control the loss of sparks, etc to prevent a fire. I think I can do it but when it gets that hot, the wood will burn faster than I'd like. O well, the proof will come this winter for sure.

The other good news (at least to me) was the find I made on his scrap pile. There was a 6 gallon Surge Bucket milker just sitting there waiting to be sent to the scrap yard which I immediately grabbed and offered more than the scrap price. I cleaned it and did a little work on it to be sure it would function and all I need now is to create -12.5 lbs pressure and it will milk my beautiful Buttercup!...I am soooooo happy. :clap

I did call the company who sells parts for it and ordered some new inflators and repair parts for the "mechanism". I was so glad to talk to the lady on the phone because she owns/milks cows and was able to be very helpful with what I needed. I can't wait to see it work but then I am NOT ready to milk just yet. I need to be able to be home 7 days a week and not miss a milking. Buttercup deserves good treatment as do all my animals.
More later...

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Glad to hear things are rolling along. I am SO with you on the "daylight saving"... My favorite "quote" that I have heard about that is supposedly attributed to a "native american" but it says "Only the white man would think you can cut a foot off the bottom of a blanket and sew it on the top of the blanket and have a longer blanket"

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, me and Bob Warr are having a time of it. Yes, I am winning but it isn't and easy contest. Below are a few "Observations" achieved whilst working with my friend, Bob Warr!

Trim's observation #1: If there is even a tiny hole anywhere in your leather gloves, Bob Warr will find it and exploit it.

Corollary #1 to Trim's Observation #1 Bob Warr will always find the space between the end of your leather glove and the beginning of your shirt cuff so if you don't want the doctor to ask if you've been "cutting your wrists", be sure to get really LONG gauntlets, not just gloves.

Corollary #2 to Trim's Observation #1: Wearing a leather welding shirt when working with Bob Warr will save a lot of money in clothing, particularly shirts.*(see Trim's observation 13)

Corollary #3 to Trim's Observation #1: Get your tetanus booster BEFORE you go out with Bob Warr.

Trim's Observation#2 It's best to keep your fencing pliers on your belt.

Trim's Rule #1: NEVER, NO NEVER be more than 5 paces away from your fencing pliers particularly in really high grass.

Trim's Observation #3: If there is a concealed hole to step in or fall into, Bob Warr will help you find it!

Trim's Observation #4: It is wholly impossible to have too many "VICE GRIP" tools when you are working with Bob Warr.

Trim's Observation #5: Spray painting your tools with FLUORESCENT ORANGE PAINT will always help...even at night...you can find them with a black light!

Trim's Observation #6: Having only one (1) Golden rod is never going to be sufficient. You need at least one Golden Rod and one 3 ton chain hoist/come-along if you are expecting to get Bob Warr to come out tight enough to stop a calf...maybe.

Trim's Observation #7: Regardless of the height of the grass, ticks will ALWAYS follow you home and secret themselves in the most intimate of locations, where no human would ever use a flame to control them.

Trim's Observation #8: While it is NOT impossible to have all the tools you need when you are working with Bob Warr, the chances of having them all go with you on the FIRST TRIP are exceedingly low.

Corollary #1 to Trim's Observation #8: A tractor with a pallet fork will be able to carry MOST of those tools unless you are VERY experienced at working with Bob Warr and know all the tricks...of which there are many.

Corollary #2 to Trim's Observation #8: The distance to retrieve the tool you need will be often be directly proportional to the need but inversely proportional to the distance to retrieve it.

Trim's Observation #9: A generator and a few electric tools such as a Sawzall and 1/2" drill will mitigate a number of problems not otherwise easily handled, (EXCEPT if it rains).

Corollary to Trim's Observation #9: A very small chain saw (not a 20" bar) will work but it can always make a real mess of a well positioned fence post.

Trim's Observation #10: The post hole auger should be mounted on the front of the tractor but never is...

Trim's Observation #11: No fence post will remain plumb in soft ground after Bob Warr has been stretched no matter how deep you put it.

Corollary to Trim's Observation #11: Never stretch Bob Warr when the ground is soft. Put the posts in and wait for dry days (at least 7 of them), assuming the cattle will allow it.(which more often than not, they won't)

Trim's Observation #12: You will sleep well at night after spending any day with Bob Warr.

Trim's Observation #13: Since Bob Warr usually wants to work on the hottest days,ALWAYS Drink twice the amount of water that you felt thirsty for each time you drink.

Corollary #1 to Trim's Observation #13: Take the water WITH YOU on the FIRST TRIP out to work with Bob Warr.

Corollary #2 to Trim's Observation #13: The cows can pee outside, so can you.

There's a few more coming, but I just thought I'd add this bit of wisdom which has been recently gathered...

Cheers,

Trim sends

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well the year is advancing despite all the hype. The garden is winding down and the preservation work is in full swing.
Finally found a teenager who is willing to work and she spent four hours helping me yesterday. Good worker. I’ve been keeping her family supplied with milk for the past two years so the relationship between families is good.
It’s dark outside at this hour of the morning so I know winter is coming. Frankly, I don’t like the “daylight savings” and wish that would stop. Let us get used to the way the earth works instead of driving everyone crazy with circadian dysynchrony for several weeks twice a year.
We ha a couple of days with frost just to annoy us and damage some of our garden but that didn’t last too long.
Freeze drying squash takes FOREVER just in case you wanted that information.
My back is doing better but now I am a lot more careful about the things I do. A friend gave me a Pilates ball and showed me an exercise which did much more for me than the chiropractor.
Ww is well and doing the preservation work.
Dd1 is back in VA with her mother (grrrrr)
That’s about it.
Cheers
Trim sends

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Things have actually improved with Gladys. (My cow)

I figured out she didn’t like the smell of the corn. I put feed only in her bucket and now she comes regularly. Hasn’t missed a milking since I changed the process. I installed a holder for two 15 quart over the fence type feeders today. I noticed that she won’t drink water straight out of the tap. She must smell the chlorine they put into it. She can still get water in the usual location but I try to make sure she has water when she gives milk.
Got the meds to cycle her so she can get AI.
Will start that 1 October.
Production up since figuring out the feed and reluctance to come issue. Consistently >3 gallons per day. Most days 3,25 gallons.
Cheers,
Trim sends

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not much to report today. Weather has been great.
Milking is going well, production down to 2.5 g/d.
Back is ok but being careful what I do.
Hope all are well and happy.
Cheers
Trim sends

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, I'm still alive. I just keep to myself and don't expose myself to influenza or any of the other viral illnesses that can not be distinguished from what is being called "SARS-CoV-2" or whatever. Back in 2021, CDC admitted "IN WRITING" that no one has ever produced a purified sample of this. Additionally, no one got the flu this year....Let that sink in.
WW and I are healthy and staying out of the way of others.
The Divorce Settlement was completed on 27 JAN. Long story. WW and I are now able to enjoy life away from the greedy individuals back in Virginia.

Hope all are well and happy. Gladys still producing about 3+ gallons/day. Temperatures staying low. Winds blow all the snow back after I clear it with the snowblower. GRRRR

Looks like the truckers have significantly more "ca ho ne"s than the majority of the American public. It should be interesting to see what happens when they arrive in Washington DC. Fidel Castro's illegitimate son is still in hiding on Vancouver Island...

But hey, what could possibly go wrong?

Cheers
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, actually I am still here but have been busier than a one armed paper hanger with a broken leg.
The fact that I lost my "password list" a while back didn't help matters any.
Things have been going well. Had a baby llama on 25 OCT and one this past Monday.
I've been away so long that I don't remember how to "do stuff here" like post a picture of the baby llamas. But I'll give you some of the highlights since last we visited.

New baby 1.2.jpg
This is Molly, born 25 OCT 15 on the day I found her. She looks a lot bigger and prettier now!

Suffice it to say, I am well, doing a lot of things. I built a "canning kitchen" in one of the buildings last year and it was a big success. A LOT of canning got done.
canning kitche 8.9 005.JPG canning kitche 8.9 004.JPG

The hog barn residents...

4 little pigs.JPG
These four were born in April. They dont' look like this now.
Then in November, Jack tried to breed with Granny and she broke her leg...that was a bummer
Granny compound fracture.JPG
If you look closely, you see a bone fragment protruding through the skin. This was a really severe fracture. I decided NOT to take the Vet's advice to "shoot her" and put a clam-shell cast on that leg the day it happened (29 NOV). Here she is that same day, looking pretty good...Kinda helped me being a doc with orthopedic experience on this one. It saved her life!
Granny with cast.JPG
Around the end of March, I took that cast off. I had kept her in the barn and on "stall rest" for the majority of the time. When the cast came off (which was a bit of a struggle, there was some skin breakdown under the cast but after putting a bandage on that, she continued to do just fine. She is now out with the rest of the girls and gets around almost like nothing ever happened...sorta.

OK, so here is a picture of Snowflake, born April 10.
Snowflake1.jpg
She almost didn't make it. I didn't know Lilly was pregnant...go figure. A guy stopped at my farm and told me there was a baby llama out on the pasture and it didn't look like it was doing too well. I raced out there and she was shivering in the cold wind...about 25*F with a 15 kt wind...so I put my coat on her and got her to the barn. Finally drove the mother back toward the barn and after a lot of work, got them together where they continue to this day...
We've had 6 calves this past season. Only Buttercup, (*who went for AI 6 times and saw the bull last time and this time) has not had a calf...and she is the milk cow...I hope the bull did his job this time!
Zinnia born 28 SEP.jpg
This was the first calf of 6 that was born 28 SEP. Within a few weeks all the rest were born but when poor Molly was born, the cows tried to kill her. I had to jump in between all the cows who were really angry and Molly, pick her up and run to the barn and hide her in a stall. Her mother came right behind and things went OK after that.
There is a lot more to tell, but these are the "high lights".
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"I'm right here, Huckleberry and I've got two guns; one for each of ya!" (Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone.)

While it is true that I have been gone for quite a while it is also true that I have been as busy as a one armed paper hanger. Through a series of interesting events, I came upon a beautiful Jersey cow who only has 3 funtioning quadrants. She was pregnant when I got her but she calved on Nov 6 and the calf died 3 days later. So I've been milking her twice a day ever since. That is a very demanding schedule.

I have done a number of projects in the time I've been away but none of them as big as the milking parlor I built for this beautiful Jersey cow. She really is a sweetheart. ( yes, I do have pictures)

Today I made the decision to milk her only once a day starting tomorrow morning. She is still giving me about 2.5 gal/day and I can't drink that much. WW is making butter, cheeses and the like with the excess and the rest go to the hogs and the chickens. I'm told by the gent who purchased one of my hogs that the milk has had a marvelous effect on the taste of the meat, although I have not had an opportunity to try it, YET. That day may be in the next month or so.

As always on a farm, the Angel of Death has visited more than once. The most recent of which was the baby llama born just three days ago and died the next day (Monday). She was last seen alive and walking about on Easter Sunday but the following morning, she had been "gathered to her father's as all will eventually do."
January of 2016 was the first such visit by the AoD. My oldest llama, Granny was found on the floor of the barn in the morning at "roll call" but she was 25 or so. It was a normal thing for her.

There have been two baby boy llamas born in the spring of last year and they are doing find.

I sold most of my cattle last fall and kept back one steer and Buttercup along with Tinkerbelle (the one with only 3 teats) My hay consumption a has taken a steep dive as a result for which I am quite glad. I was running out of it rapidly.

While I've been gone I've built some beautiful "joiners benches" and have two of them in use in my "cordless wood shop." I still use my beautiful power tools (table saw, etc.) butI've been studying the use of hand tools (really cordless) and am getting to the point where I am actually able to cut a respectable dovetail joint in pine as well as a decent mortise and tenon.

Haven't tried hardwood yet until I am completely satisfied with what I do in pine. I can now sharpen a saw competently and sharpen a chisel and a plane blade well enough to shave with (not that I have shaved in the last 11 years but...) My tools cut like they are "SUPPOSED" to cut and are now a joy to use. I have been very happy with the results of the things I have made with hand tools and will be moving up into some form of furniture project in the next year or so. Having built a work bench at the right height for ME has been a wonderful change in my enjoyment of wood working.

The farm is coming along nicely. Always lots of maintenance to be done. The tractors are still running well and no major issues with equipment, thus far.

Big fencing project coming soon (if winter will EVER be over.)We've had snow for the past week and the temperatures have not exceeded 20*F for quite some time. This morning on the way to milk it was +8*F. Yep, it was cold with the 19 Kt. Wind to add to the joy of early morning walk to the milking parlor (which by the way is heated! There are predictions of more snow and the temperatures are nearly 0*F in the AM, and sometimes get close to FREEZING in the afternoons, sometimes.

I lost the election as coroner after 9 years of service in that position. The guy who beat me has an EMT certification and not a clue about death investigation but he does have hundreds of "Friends on Facebook" so he won the election. Good for him! I got tired of the work and poor ability to ever go anywhere but then milking the cow has been even more restrictive...IYKWIM.

In case you are wondering why I've been so quiet, well I just haven't had THAT much time to keep up with everyone but I did miss you all enough to reply to a note I got by email today.

There's lots more that has happened but when one lives on an active farm, it is really just the "run of the mill" stuff an my guess is you are all doing pretty much the same sorts of thing so why bother you with it?

I'll be in and out from time to time. Glad to see all are doing what we do best...living the dream.

Hope all here are well and happy.
Cheers,
Trim sends

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I love hearing everyone's updates! Every farm is different, and y'all get me daydreaming. I loved hearing about your Jersey. I've wanted one since I was a kid. DH still says no. Honestly, I don't want to clean a barn up after a cow!

I am spoiled by sheep! Sheep are small enough to move by force too! I have an absolutely insane awful spazzy yearling ewe that is a broken leg waiting to happen. She has a lamb now, so I'm stuck with her for now. She spooked and tried to jump through a manger hole in the fence. She jumped hard enough that her wool got her stuck in the fence - sometimes stupid is an asset! - and I got a rope on her. With a rope on her neck and a big handful of wool on her butt, I was able to wrangle/drag her to the mixing pen where her lamb was waiting. Wasn't graceful, but got it done! No way I could manage a difficult cow though!