Guilt

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've spent so long defending my choice to homeschool that I feel guilty for considering outschooling my kids. I finally found a school that I think we're all going to be happy with and picked up my family and moved it two hours in order to be there (though that's not the only reason). It's hard to even consider giving up the identity as homeschooling mom... and especially hard to give up my bookstore discount card!!!

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, I left out that my kids were unschooled from day one, so this will be their first time at 5th and 2nd grades. The school, in case you're curious, is http://hudsonvallleyschool.org

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SandraMort said:
and especially hard to give up my bookstore discount card!!!
LOL!!!

If you've found something that's right for your family... you can't go wrong! If it doesn't work out, you can always change your mind later. A good friend of mine homeschooled her children from k-8th grade.. and is now putting the older two into a creative arts school new near them. She said it just fits them. She also has 4 younger children. One will be starting kindergarten at their local public school, the other 3rd grade. She will be home w/ the preschooler and toddler. She says she needs a break, and the kids have found a good fit. The 3rd grader has needed special help anyways, so being in the school system will help him have more access to that.

We moved our family to a school district that we thought would be best for our son, but it was hard getting all teacher/staff to be on board w/ what was best. The principal was on our game plan.. just not ALL the staff who worked w/ him. So it didn't work out... we moved the whole family, and it didn't work out. So don't be disapointed if it doesn't go how you expect. Just take it as it comes.

Good luck! Don't let that guilt get ya! You can still be an advocate for others who homeschool!

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm Jewish

heatherv said:
Good luck! Don't let that guilt get ya! You can still be an advocate for others who homeschool!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Throw the word guilt out of your vocabulary....obviously you researched this and made the best decision to fit your lifestyle right now!

Change is always a little hard of course, but you will make it all work with your new decision. Kids adapt sooo well.... :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if my DSS would have benefited from home schooling....he is now 16, and having a rough go at school. Just wish he could be here and we could at least try.

Fairacre

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think that the most decisive element in any child's education is the level of parental involvement.

Parents can be very involved in their child's education even if they are "outschooled" (I like that term). Also, parents can homeschool in a detatched way, using videos & enrichment classes and maintaining very little involvement.

There's a category of parent educators called "afterschoolers" who maintain a high level of involvement with their child's classroom experiences and provide applications & extensions for what they learn in their schools.

I think my own mother could be included in that category, even though 'waaaay back when I went to school no one was homeschooling. She was very interested & involved in our schooling, asking about our days there, reading our texts, checking our school papers, monitoring our homework, providing support for areas in which we were weak. It was she who taught my brother to read when he was struggling in school, and taught him again when he was having trouble learning "the new math". She bought us lots of books and learning games, and took time to read to and play those games with us.

One of the most fundamental principles of homeschooling is individual choice. This school is your choice for your children. There's no need to feel guilty about that.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Fairacre--I really enjoyed your post. I agree--no guilt! We can all just do our best to support our kids' education wherever and however that is happening.

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Try volunteering at the school - it's what I did. It then turned into a part time job (they started paying me).

I tried homeschooling, and it worked in some ways and other ways it didn't work. I did the next best thing - I was at the school a lot of the time.

Peace -
Meriah

Latest posts