gummed up arkansas stone

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an old Arkansas stone, the type that has a rough and smooth side, that I inherited. This stone has been in continuous use for 30+ years by me, and I don't know how long before I got it.

Somewhere along the line I got the notion that the best oil to use on this stone is olive oil. I know that is the best stuff to use on my flintlock guns, so it seemed like a good idea. Maybe it wasn't.

Recently a spot developed on the smooth side that is rather clogged or gummed up. The blade just skips over it when I am sharpening it.

Anybody got any ideas how to fix this? Other than that one spot it is still a very good tool.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Toulle said:
I have an old Arkansas stone, the type that has a rough and smooth side, that I inherited. This stone has been in continuous use for 30+ years by me, and I don't know how long before I got it.

Somewhere along the line I got the notion that the best oil to use on this stone is olive oil. I know that is the best stuff to use on my flintlock guns, so it seemed like a good idea. Maybe it wasn't.

Recently a spot developed on the smooth side that is rather clogged or gummed up. The blade just skips over it when I am sharpening it.

Anybody got any ideas how to fix this? Other than that one spot it is still a very good tool.
Real old timers :old where I live used to say "use white gas and a rag" for all sorts of thing like that. I dunno if that's good advice now. Maybe there's something better, these days. Besides, can you stil get white gas? (My camp stove runs on propane.)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Coleman stove fuel is white gas/naptha--a pretty inexpensive fix and easily found :)