Gun shooting etiquette question

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I've never owned a gun in my whole life, so I don't know gun etiquette or the law etc....

Recently my idiot neighbor about 10 acres away began to shoot a really loud gun over and over throughout the day. He is doing it right now. I have counted 17 shots so far within 30 minutes or so.

These shots are so loud that my horses spook and my dog is under my desk hiding. My other neighbor's dog ran away from home soon after he heard the first shots a few days ago. They found him a day later about 1 mile away. (We originally thought the idiot neighbors shot and killed him and hid his body.)

We live in the country, about 8 miles away from the courthouse. Outside of the city limits pretty much.

I am worried that they are going to shoot my direction and kill something or someone! (They get drunk often.)

What should I do?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd call the sherrif's office and in a nice way explain your concerns. They might send someone out to remind him that bullets can travel past the target if one misses one's shot :/

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You should call your sherriffs office now, while they are shooting like this....because if they are drunk and shooting there might be a little more to be concerned about and the sherriff will see that.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I agree with Morel.
Target practise might be fun, but you don't need to use a big loud gun to do that. You can use a smaller caliber gun, that doesn't scare ecveryone to death, and doesn't make as much noise.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Every area has laws regarding how close to dwellings one can shoot a gun. You might call the sherrif's office "just to find out." Maybe they'll come out to "measure!" :D

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to get used to the noise. On the weekends here,.it sounds like WW2. We finally decided to join in. ;) Here there isn't any drunks though,..just goofballs wasting ammo target practicing. The law here is a gun cannot be fired within 100ft of a dwelling. Im not sure how it is in city limits.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
...The law here is a gun cannot be fired within 100ft of a dwelling...
Geeze, that would mean that I'd have to quit using my kitchen as my deer blind, and the widow sill as my gun rest. I'd sure miss the handy access to the coffee pot and snacks! :(

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Up-the-Creek said:
...The law here is a gun cannot be fired within 100ft of a dwelling...
Geeze, that would mean that I'd have to quit using my kitchen as my deer blind, and the widow sill as my gun rest. I'd sure miss the handy access to the coffee pot and snacks! :(
I know,..shhhh! We look at it as 100 ft to someone elses dwelling,..not unless they are kin, then who cares! :D

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just sounds like you have some idiot neighbors. I have several large calliber guns and have shot them regularly. Out here in the country its the way it is. Live and let live sorta thing. More than likely they just purchased a new handgun and are out there shooting it. Large caliber X Short barrell = loud bang. You could call the sherriff and just tell him you are concerned as you hadnt heard this going on before in the area and wanted him to make sure everything was "cool". This puts it off as you just being a good neighbor and concerned rather than some city - pr!c moving to the country and then want to change things when you get there (not saying you are by any means, just thats what us rednecks think when the law shows up cuz im doin somethin I normaly do,, like,, mowin my front yard in a thong and flip flops on my snazzy 3 wheel riding lawn mower). :lol: Good luck with it all thou, dealing with neighbors can be tricky.:rolleyes: