Hair Washing

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been reading about this whole don't wash your hair thing. Basically, you stop washing your hair. You can still take showers and rinse your hair. The idea is that the chemicals in shampoo strip your hair of it's natural oils thereby causing the oil glands to go into overload. According to what I've been reading, it can take around a month (sometimes less, sometimes more) before the glands balance out. Anyone else willing /daring enough to give it a whack?

My kids will be joining me on this adventure as I don't normally wash either of them (GASP). They are a toddler and a preschooler and the only time I use soap to wash them is when I can visibly SEE dirt or they smell (never happened yet other than bad diapers on the youngest). Thus far, I haven't washed my hair in a week (not entirely by choice). I will admit that it is MUCH greasier than normal but I'm going to be patient and see what happens after 6 weeks. Oh, and I haven't noticed any smell as of yet.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I don't think I could live thru it, but good luck and keep us posted....I will be interested to hear how you do!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried this for about 3 weeks a while back. I didn't have enough courage to go the distance though, cause I'm still in corporate world and I can't wear a hat everyday. My hair is very oily, and my skin too. Its good in that I haven't developed many wrinkles yet, even with my sun exposure, but whee 42 inches of hair washed every day still takes up a lot of shampoo, even when you only do the roots...

Thinking of trying a baking soda rinse though, in lieu of shampoo, will that count?

Oh, how dare you not wash your children unless they are dirty and actually need it ;)

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm way too afraid to try this. I like my castile soap+ACV routine. It does not strip my hair, has no chemicals, and feels really nice. I think for some people, the no washing could work, but I have a need to feel the sudsy squeaky clean that comes with soap.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it may work for me because normally I can easily go 3 days without feeling the urge to wash or needing to. Usually on the fourth day, that is when it starts getting oily.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Aidenbaby, I'm like you. I can easily go for four days without washing my hair and I do. I usually take a quick bath, every other day (more often, if I feel dirty), so I shower about once a week, just to wash my hair thoroughly. It took a long time to get used to this routine. I started by washing my hair every other day and slowly got to this point. I don't like my hair, when it is freshly washed, because it is too fly-away and gets into my eyes and doesn't stay where I want it. If I go out, I end up putting goop on it. I put sunblock on my hair anyway, where it is exposed to the sun. I am outside nearly all day doing the farm thing.
I am a compulsive foot washer though. I cannot go to bed with dirty feet. I'll wake up in the middle of the night and wash my feet, if I forget to wash them in the evening. :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My hair is extremely thick and I wash it every other day. If I let it go past that my scalp will start to itch under the hair that is the thickest. It would drive me crazy to go past the 3 day mark...I would start looking like someone scratching lice! :p

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't think I've gone quite a month without using shampoo, but I've gone close. My hair wasn't as shiny and as soft as it would usually be. I would have to wash my hair almost every day to make it actually look like I was taking care of it. So now I use baking soda and ACV and I'm pretty happy with the results.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I am a compulsive foot washer though. I cannot go to bed with dirty feet. I'll wake up in the middle of the night and wash my feet, if I forget to wash them in the evening. :gig
I don't have to get up in the middle of the night - I can not go to sleep if I don't wash my feet before I go to bed even if I took a shower 30 minutes before bedtime. LOL I can't wait to tell DH I am not the only one.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
No offense to anyone here attempting this, but my pet peeve is standing behind someone in a checkout line who has not been washing the hair regularly. The smell about knocks me off my feet and I come near to vomiting.

You might get a close caring friend to periodically give you a sniff test during this endeavor. You can't announce to everyone everywhere that the "stench" is an experiment. Just sayin... :sick :p