Halloween

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I LOVE Halloween. I did a halloween party four years in a row. I just love the fear factor in it.
Living in a very very small town means that all the people go to the big town to trick or treat. So, my scaring talent is wasted. I have already built a ceiling crawler, and a whole graveyard full of gravestones.
My granddaughter helped me put up the cemetary fence and gravestones one year when she was four. We put in the fence around the cemetary and installed the gravestones. Next we put all the bones and skeletons in the cemetary. When we ran out of bones I told her we were done. Grandma,she says, I know where we can get more bones. I laughed, where (what was she going to say) is that? Her voice drops to a whisper, up at the cemetary. We can go up there, they have lots of bones. I told her no, they are all buried. Oh but grandma, we have shovels we can dig them up. Lets go get more bones :lol:. Do you think it is in the genes?
Anyway, I want to build the TCT, a lightshow activated by thunder, a pressure sensitive matt that operates a coffin jumper....the list goes on. Does anyone here have anything they like to do for halloween?
I like going to the junkyard for parts. I made a wonderful candelabra out of junk parts. The ceiling crawler was built from chicken wire fencing gotten at the junkyard. It had the police flashing my house with floodlites the first year I put it up. They thought my house was being broke into :/.
Does anyone have anything special they would like to share? Or just a tradition they would like to share.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WOW!! You go all out! There are a few homes by us that really put on a show for the trick-or-treaters! I am happy with some orange pumpkins and a few ghosts :)

Post photos when you can

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ooh, didnt even think about my pics. YEAH, I'll do that.

edited because I was typing to fast, had to fix

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not a halloween decorating fan here. I put up the usual "harvest" display in the front of the house----hay bale is easy to get..HA HA...and so are pumpkins since we grow them....and then a few mum plants to make it look good. I do put up a scary witch in the door and have a few pumpkins in the house on the table kinda thing.

I am on a road where no one comes. In 14 years I never had a Halloweener at the door.....so????

We go into town. The town of Maiden shuts down Main St. and all the houses are super decorated and the kids have a blast. 3 churchs on the road also have a party/carnival type thing, blow ups to jump on, live music, dancing, games, small petting zoo...that type of thing. Super crowded but so much fun! So we will go there and enjoy. Nicole being 3 yo she doesn't last long...tuckers her out fast.

I take it you don't mind the work of decorating? Other than Christmas, which I do decorate alot more for me, cause people can't see my house from the main road really unless I light it up like an airport runway...lol....I do it for me and the family. Christmas lights just make me smile....but other holidays I don't go overboard.

And did ya notice people don't give out the big good candy like when I was little...LOL...my neighbor lady in my old town used to make homemade popcorn/caramel balls...OMG they were the best...we loved her treats! :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick you know that by asking that question it will get this thread onto the wrong road. But I will answer you LOL. That is how it goes.
I go all out for Halloween and Christmas. I could care less for the other holidays. I leave them for other people.
So, for the candy question. This is where it will all go wrong, :gig
Yes I do see the difference in candy bar size. But you know what they say-size doesnt matter :rolleyes:. What does upset me is the paranoia in our country. If I had been making homemade halloween candy for ten years and then suddenly everyone thingks I might have did something BAD to it. COME ON use your common sense. :barnie

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL
yea if my neighbor from the olden days handed out popcorn balls now, people would throw them in the trash when they got home, just cause it wasn't store bought!

size doesn't matter..HA HA...sure it does! (evil grin) HA HA

BUT---my SIL's school.....they sent home a list of party goods needed for a fun day at school...nothing, nothing was to be homemade, everything store bought. Can you believe that? WOW....

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Oh I LOVE Halloween!! Sadly, nobody comes down my road. :( My nieces/nephews are too young for the 'scary' parts of it, so I just don't do anything at all. I so wish I could!! I would like to think I could make a small 'haunted house' of some sort and have the older kids come around that night, but so many of them are destructive and unruly, they would probably tear it up. Parenting isn't what it used to be ya know!!

Christmas is usually held here at some point (family is so big it stretches over a week or 2, lol) so I have 6 trees in the house, each with a different theme. Not to mention all the Santas, etc. *sigh* oh well.

Candy? I get enough for the 7 nieces/nephews each to have a goodie bag. Thats it! I even get the cheap toys from the dollar store, so there isn't SO much candy. This year I'm gonna make caramel apples and popcorn balls for them. That will be all for me... :hit

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
THere is a haunted trail that Paradise has started putting on everyyear. I have went for four years. I have a blast. It is a forty min drive but it is fun. Sometimes when I tell people I am going they act like SUPREME ADULTS (as I call them) and kinda stick their nose in the air. I say, Halloween is not just for kids, adult can and should have fun. It brings back childhood memories and feelings. For someone who works (at anything), is raising a family or just has a lot of responsibilities it is a "let your hair down and be a kid" kinda fun. Now this is an IMO, PARENTS-kids can be a little scared, it wont kill them, that is why I posted the story of my grandaughter. Kids are not to scared of things, sometimes it depends on how the parent reacts. It is supposed to be scary. I am proud of my granddaughter, I asked her what she wanted to be for halloween last year and she said a MUMMY! yeah, you go girl LOL.
i did not mean to offend anyone. sorry if I did.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
offend anyone? no way, it is just a halloween discussion...LOL-LOL

yea we did the haunted trail scary thing a few times...just me and Tony. Heck, I was scared...those teenagers that dressed up spooked me real good! LOL---Nicole being 3 can't take her thru those yet.

There is a corn maze about 45 mins. from here and I think I might take her to that....it is a haunted trail but I called and nothing moves or jumps at you...you just find haunted "rooms" made in the corn so it should be OK for her. I think the dressed up people jumping at her might freak her out..LOL..or ME! HA HA

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We get no trick or treaters at our house either. Even though we have a few more children iving out here now they all go into town. We have lived out here for 8yrs now. My brother who lives 5 mins from us has been there for 17yrs & my children are his only treaters(he gives them a whole bag, minus a couple he treats himself to)!!
I like to decorate too & ds#2 loves it, not sure we will do a whole lot of it this yr as we have no front porch yet to string up the spider webbing. I will put out a few things. But dd is in to everything & will not keep her hands off of things. Wondering how she will do with a Christmas tree.
We usually hit my brothers, then dh's parents & then my parents & go up & down their block & then we are done. DD is 2 & this will be her first yr actually t&ting, so it will be interesting. I already got her costume from freecycle. It was advertised as a witch, but it looks more like a princess dress & she was calling it that when we got home & showed daddy. So I will get her a wand & tiara at the dollar store. They even had wings too, but I dont think she would leave them on.