ham recipe?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry if this is already on the site (search said "ham" was too short or to common) Im looking for a whole rear leg ham recipe. I took a ham from Mr Chopper out of the deep freeze and put it in the frig. We have only ever bough spiral sliced fully cooked hams from the store. I guess I could smoke it with cherry or hickory for a while then finish it off in the oven... I'm really looking forward to trying a fresh ham.

Thanks

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry, no help. We make roasts and ground pork out of the hams.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
try googling the phrase "FRESH HAM ROAST RECIPE" and you'll find oodles of recipes. One had a maple/balsamic glaze that sounded divine!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm interested in this too. Does anyone here have a "tried and trusted" recipe they can recommend? I.e. one they have used and really liked.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't made a fresh ham roast in something like 20 years- can NOT remember what I did, although I think rosemary and sage played bit parts.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rub with powdered ginger and cook. Grate fresh ginger and mix with orange marmalade and crushed red pepper to taste. Heat, make a glaze and pour over the ham, bake another 15-20 minutes.

Cut pockets on both sided, push a garlic clove in each cut. pour cup of cooking sherry over the ham, lay sprigs of fresh rosemary on the top of the ham, then cook it.