Hand balm stinks. Help!!

krzybo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made a body balm for chapped skin using cocoa butter, Shea butter, jojoba oil and beeswax. It smelled bad while I was making it so I added some EO. It didn't help. The cocoa butter still smells really strong and it is not a pleasant scent.:sick Should I have added more of the EO (Beach Breeze)? I was afraid it would just add with the cocoa smell and make it worse. I am new to this and I'm wanting to know if the EO will eventually mask the butter scents? The balm works great, though.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure "Beach Breeze" is an EO and not a FO?

I would use something that goes with the chocolate smell, like peppermint....mmmmmm!

Morgaine

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
How old is your cocoa butter? It should smell like yummy chocolate or if it is refined, have no smell at all. If it smells bad, then your oils may have been rancid.

krzybo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Morgaine said:
How old is your cocoa butter? It should smell like yummy chocolate or if it is refined, have no smell at all. If it smells bad, then your oils may have been rancid.
My cocoa butter is new. I ordered it off a reputable site. I need to learn about scents that go together, like the vanilla with the cocoa butter.:hide That's makes perfect sense. So refined is what I need for the "no smell"? Boy, I sure do have a lot to learn. Thanks, ladies.

krzybo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Are you sure "Beach Breeze" is an EO and not a FO?

I would use something that goes with the chocolate smell, like peppermint....mmmmmm!
Sorry, it is a FO. Peppermint would have been great. :barnie

I have a lot of learning to do yet.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I LOOOOOVE the smell of unrefined cocoa butter.

I did learn an important lesson as a massage therapist. Never use a "food" scented cream or lotion for feet. I used peppermint for a short while, then when I had some of my favorite ice cream, mint chocolate chip....I tasted FEET. :sick :p