hand milking? Pails/buckets

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, so most of you might know, I am going to get a doe in milk next week. I don't have a stainless pail....I have enamel ware pail with a lid. Will this work? I mean, would I be able to keep it clean enough to not contaminate the milk??

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Yes, that would be fine. Or you can go to TSC or some other lawn and garden/farm store and get stainless pails in the dog section for pretty cheap.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Just check the enamel and make sure it isn't chipped or cracked and you should be fine.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Or use one of your stainless steel pots. The lid is handy, too, for setting it down while you finish up and keeping the milk clean while you transport the milk.

Of course you know that some of us just milk into canning jars...so easy to put in the dishwasher. Probably not practical with a big producer, though.

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day, when we used to milk we just used a glass fruit juice bottle about 4lts ,milk one handed and hold the bottle in the other,after a while you get to be a "good shot",just hold the bottle "close "to the teat,also "no hooves in the bucket".....We found it was worthwhile using one of those "cheap" hair clipper sets to trim the udder so you do not get any loose hair in the milk.......Good luck with her ,but remember she will be a bit nervous as well as yourself,new milker and new home......................T.O.R..........................

Latest posts