Hand powered appliances

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have a little hand crank food processor that I use all the time for chopping, mixing, slicing, etc. Although I own an electric one, I never use it from day to day as it's too much of a pain to clean unless it's a big project.
These things are sometimes hard to find though. So when I decided that I really used it, I bought a spare one incase I couldn't replace this one. Been a number of yeears and my little crank thingy is still doing fine.

I also use an old, found in a thrift store egg beater for many things instead of a mixer. Can even make whipped cream with it.

Do you all have any other hand powered devices that are just too handy to replace with powered items?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a power mixer (well ok if someone offered me a *free* good-quality stand mixer, I would be thrilled... but not the handheld type) when I've got my trusty turn-the-handle eggbeater. (Actually I usually whip eggs or cream with just a whisk or fork, so I don't have to bother *looking for* the eggbeater :p)

Nobody's gettin' their hands on my Foley food mill either. (Although again, if a Vitamix [admittedly not *quite* the same mechanically, but achieves a very similar end] came up to me on the street with big soulful eyes I would certainly give it a home, lol).

My only meat grinder is yer basic old-style metal crank kind and I can't see as I'm likely to ever replace it. (Would like to have a small hand-crank grain mill too, but financially, probably not gonna happen). Ice cream maker, too, althogh I am embarrassed to say it is one of those plastic "roll the ball across the floor" types (hey, it works ok for occasional use :p)

My FAVORITE two manual things around here are my hand drill (the kind with the handle you crank round and round like the aforementioned eggbeater) and my trusty 9-teeth-per-inch allpurpose hand saw. That puppy just MELTS effortlessly right thru lumber, and no cord and all that setup to worry about. (Actually I accidentally "killed" my favorite saw a couple weeks ago -- broke the plastic handle, waaaah -- and replaced it with a Stanley brand "Fatmax", which I must reluctantly say is even better than the one I had)

Pat

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I wouldn't buy a power mixer (well ok if someone offered me a *free* good-quality stand mixer, I would be thrilled... but not the handheld type) when I've got my trusty turn-the-handle eggbeater. (Actually I usually whip eggs or cream with just a whisk or fork, so I don't have to bother *looking for* the eggbeater :p)

Nobody's gettin' their hands on my Foley food mill either. (Although again, if a Vitamix [admittedly not *quite* the same mechanically, but achieves a very similar end] came up to me on the street with big soulful eyes I would certainly give it a home, lol).
I SOOO agree about the Foley! Mine was my mom's which she got as a wedding present in 1940. It broke 2 years ago and I have been through two cheapo imitations since. Lizzie at the Amish store tells me she will have some Foleys in this spring. :fl I'm gonna snag one the minute they are unpacked. :D

I got a KitchenAid fancy-dancy rebuilt for Christmas 2007. I do love it, especially for heavy batters and doughs.

patandchickens said:
My FAVORITE two manual things around here are my hand drill (the kind with the handle you crank round and round like the aforementioned eggbeater) and my trusty 9-teeth-per-inch allpurpose hand saw. That puppy just MELTS effortlessly right thru lumber, and no cord and all that setup to worry about. (Actually I accidentally "killed" my favorite saw a couple weeks ago -- broke the plastic handle, waaaah -- and replaced it with a Stanley brand "Fatmax", which I must reluctantly say is even better than the one I had) Pat
I love my Stanley FatMax Saw! It is perfect for me too... I'm envious of your hand drill, Pat!

The screen in my hand sifter is starting to tear ... another survivor from my mom's kitchen ware purchased in 1940's. :(

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I bet you could solder in a new screen if you really wanted. Dunno as I'd use solder for 'normal' food-contact stuff, but for a sifter I just cannot feature it causing any problems.

Pat

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I prefer to do things by hand. I do have a ton of gadgets but I really don't use them to often. More hassle to clean them afterwards than its worth.

There is a little food chopper thing that turns by had. It's listed on beeprepaired.com, I have been eyeing it.

Pat ----Not to sound dumb but what types of things do you use a food mill for? does it give you the same results as a ricer? I think that's what my Mom called hers.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I use my husband's grandmother's ricer a lot. I usually grab the hand crank can opener too. I broke my arm right at the wrist 10 years ago and it sometimes gives me trouble, so we do have an electric can opener around just in case I need it. I have one of those Pampered Chef choppers that someone gave me. I use that do a lot of my vegetable chopping, or nuts. I hate dragging out the big food processor and cleaning it after I've used it.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I bet you could solder in a new screen if you really wanted. Dunno as I'd use solder for 'normal' food-contact stuff, but for a sifter I just cannot feature it causing any problems. Pat
Thanks! That's something to ponder on... I am still hesitant to tear it apart, because 3/4s of the screen is in still semi-decent shape. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Pat ----Not to sound dumb but what types of things do you use a food mill for? does it give you the same results as a ricer? I think that's what my Mom called hers.
Honestly I've never owned or operated a ricer so I am not certain :p

it's like a seive or strainer but with a nearly-flat blade that turns round and round to moosh stuff thru the holes.

I use it mostly for applesauce (allows you to cook the apples cores n all -- skins and stems too if they are unsprayed -- and then just use the food mill to sort it out in the end. Also for converting roasted tomatoes into tomato sauce; and mostly-de-seeding raspberry puree for silly husbands who won't eat raspberry jam if it has seeds <rolls eyes>

Basically anytime you want to puree something whilst simultaneously separating out chunky bits such as skin, seeds, whatever.

Most same-function item I can think of is that sort of cone-shaped thing (forget the name) you see 'em use on Iron Chef or other fancy cooking shows, where you force the stuff against/thru the perforated cone with a wooden pestle.

Pat

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Foley Food Mill has more power than a ricer, which is a press that you grip the handles with as much strength as you have to force food through. I wouldn't part with my ricer for cooked rutabaga, a family biggie.

I have a hand cranked grinding stone wheel that screws on to a work top. I turn the handle to rotate the grinding stone and hold a blade or something that needs an edge to it. Easier done if someone else cranks.

My hand cranked pasta machine is something I use for pasta, clay projects, etc.

My hand cranked cast iron grain mill is useful. I posted on another thread that I am having this hooked up to my stationary exercise bike to pedal the grinder.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I love that image of a biker with powder floating around her :)

I have a food mill that clamps onto the counter, used for applesauce.