Hand tools

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This:

shopping
This pic is of a plastic one - but mine is steel. I love it and use the heck out of it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This tool for scraping pelts makes the most divine hand weeder!
iu

yes, that's like a mini-stirrup hoe.

lately the tool i've been using the most is my flat bladed shovel. it has been so muddy that the stirrup hoe just sticks to the mud as i try to skim across the top. when things are dry enough i just scrape the top with the stirrup hoe (i don't even get down into the dirt much at all). the flat bladed shovel i'm scraping the top layer of weeds and detritus off and burying them in the trench with the rest of the garden debris (bean plants in the case of the garden i'm currently working on).

normally when it is drier out the stirrup hoe is my first weeding pass in any open areas and then for closer work i use a large steak knife with a wooden handle or a small trowel. the steak knife or trowel also come in handy for scraping the mud off my mud shoes and the rest of the garden tools.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hand trowel. Or it could be my waterproof knee pads. I'm more likely to kneel and get weeds out that way in small sections every day.

for close to the ground work i have a ground pillow that i sit on and will scoot along the ground on that if i can. also use it as a knee pad.