Happy To Find You From Western Washington

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was impressed reading through the wealth of knowledge on your site, which I stumbled on by reading a post on Permies about recycling, so I'd like to join you all!

I feel I can add some wisdom from growing up a farm girl on a big spread near Eugene, Oregon, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. We lived in an old logger's shack, walked the proverbial mile uphill (both ways, heh) to catch the school bus, kept all sorts of livestock and pets, grew a big garden every year, got our water from a spring (never tested -- maybe that's why my immune system is so strong), cooked on a wood stove (got my own chainsaw as a 16th birthday present), and spent many happy hours rambling the acreage.

Retired now on only three acres but my husband of 40 years and I are making it as self-sufficient as we can. Since this is earthquake country, it just seems to be prudent to prepare in all areas.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, so glad to have you here! Jump right in and join the conversations and fun. My husband and I are retired and have 8 acres, sheep, chickens, ducks, horses and dogs.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi Calista, and welcome from Texas. No earthquakes close to us ( :fl ) but we do prepare for hurricanes!