Hardboiling Eggs

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Someone teach me :(
I'm 22 and I can cook for the most part but hard boiled eggs are like the hardest thing ever for me LOL.

mum sent me back to Toronto with 2 dozen eggs from home, and i know hardboiled eggs are really good for you. and make a really nice breakfast AND are good to eat after a hard workout (protein for those muscles!).

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
There are lots of different ways to do it, but I've found the best way for me to do it with my fresh eggs (notoriously hard to peel) is bring the water to a boil. After the water is boiling, add the eggs and boil them for 14 minutes. When the 14 mins is up, take them out and put them immediately in an icewater bath. They peel great and don't overcook. :)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
D: this sounds good, yeah, my issue is overcooking. rofl, considering i can actually cook, doing hardboiled eggs shouldn't be such an issue for me! hahaha. i try at least. they tasted good, but were definitely overcooked. i'll try your way tomorrow :)

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hate hate hate cooking hard boiled FRESH eggs. Won't do it. Never mastered the fresh hard boiled egg peel.

I'll leave them in the fridge for a week or two before I even think about it.

Then I put the eggs in the pot and fill till about 1" over the eggs with cold water. I'll put it on the stove on Medium-High and as soon as the water begins to boil I'll shut off the burner and set the timer for 10 minutes.

After that, rinse them in cold water and you're good.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's my method: put eggs in cold water & bring just to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, then take off the burner & let sit 20 minutes. Dump out hot water & fill pot with cold water until eggs are cool. It's hard to overcook with this method (in my experience).

Now...I have never been able to peel a fresh egg...half the white always comes off with the shell, no matter how I do it (& I've probably tried every method listed on BYC). :(

I'm sure if there are 1000 people on this forum, there's 1000 different ways to boil an egg! :D

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i can peel those fresh ones pretty good now, since most of the time ours are fresh, but these guys are a little older. super easy to peel :) i should try everyone's method at least once :D

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
There are lots of different ways to do it, but I've found the best way for me to do it with my fresh eggs (notoriously hard to peel) is bring the water to a boil. After the water is boiling, add the eggs and boil them for 14 minutes. When the 14 mins is up, take them out and put them immediately in an icewater bath. They peel great and don't overcook. :)
Isn't it a little tricky to add the eggs to boiling water without the egg cracking or hot water spashing?

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmmm...so many different methods. I put the cold eggs in cold water (I've found they crack more easily if you try to add them to boiling water), bring to a boil, boil for 8 minutes, turn off, immediately pour out the boiling water, fill the pan with cold water, wait about 10 seconds and dump that out, then fill with cold water again. After a few minutes I can start peeling and they are perfectly done.

I think one of the reasons for the wide variety of methods is that everyone's idea of "perfect" is different. DH's mother used to cook the eggs until the yolk was blue/gray around the outside. To him that is fully cooked. On the other hand, to me a perfect egg is one that is set (not runny) but the center of the yolk is still orange. So - I cook them for 8 minutes which gets them to that point. If, like my DH and his mother you prefer them way overcooked :)lol:), then boil them for 14 minutes or so!

Oh - one more thing. For eggs that peel easily use older eggs. The fresher they are, they harder to peel.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm going to hard boil some eggs this week, so what I do is take a dozen and set them on the counter for about three days. Then I put them in cold water, and bring to a slow boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes then take them out and run them under cool water . I peel them right away, and leave them in the fridge, or devil them. Theydon't last lond around here.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had that same problem with the white part sticking to the shell. So then, I put them in salty, cold water and boiled for 15 mins (exactly) and put them straight into a sink of ice water. It worked but it could've been because these eggs had been in the fridge for a week.
:idunno but good luck and let us know how it turns out.