Harvest season at corncob

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So it's harvest time here at Corncob. What else does one harvest at corncob but corn ofcourse. I'm not talking about sweet corn either. I'm talking about feed corn and corn meal and corn that will be made into ethenol to add to gasoline. You know the high octane stuff.

So my neighbor says he has a 250 gallon tote with a little corn left in the bottom that he wants to give me. He said he doesnt want to put new corn over top of old. So he brings it over for me empty out. I do have a few feed bags but yeah, I might not have enough.

I looked in the tote and said, you know just as it sits, if a guy we're creative with a little water, some sugar and yeast he could make a big ole batch of shine out of this couldn't he? He said: yeah I reckon a guy could couldn't he, with a big grin on his face. Then I said: well I'm not that creative. But my chickens and turkeys will love you long time for this treat.
IMG_20200917_191510093.jpg

IMG_20200917_191524803~2.jpg

It's a heck of a lot of corn left in there. This should keep my chickens and turkeys warm this winter.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What a good neighbor! In Indiana we had cornfields on 3 sides of us. After the harvest the kids and I would go out and pick up what was left. Plenty for the squirrels and chickens!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have corn on either side of me -- about 90 acres total. The equipment is so good, there is little left to glean anymore. :( I still do it but results are poor for me.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We'll I climbed in the tote with shovel in hand while my wife held the bags as I filled them. I know the bags were way more full than you get at the farm store. But I shoveled out 6 bags and then moved the tote over by the chicken and turkey pen and tipped it over. Probably another bag or so in there. Then scraped the bottom of the tote where the corn was rotten and turned it back over again. I tossed a couple of shove fulls into the coop. The chickens snubbed beaks at it but the turkeys went crazy for it.

Anyways what a nice gift, I'll use it to supplement the store bought allflock feed and it should all be good.

IMG_20200918_154818145.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What? No “shine” for the turkeys? What kind of yeast? I might make some for my feeder pigs next year. Drunken pigs! The meat would either be very tender or pickled! LOL

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What? No “shine” for the turkeys? What kind of yeast? I might make some for my feeder pigs next year. Drunken pigs! The meat would either be very tender or pickled! LOL
Go with ole faithful, champagne yeast if you want drunk pigs. It's ultra cheap and reliable. I'd try one pack per 5 gallons of mash, give it a week at room temperature depending on what's in the mash with regards to converted starch into sugars content it'll probably be anywhere from 3 to 10% ethenol after a week, you'll gain about half as much more if you wait 2 weeks. Just boil all your mash really good first, allow it to cool to room temperature then pitch the yeast (sprinkle it over top of the mash) no need to stir the yeast knows what to do.

Drunk chickens and turkeys are a hoot.

or

If you want higher alcohol and quicker turn around time add about 50 lbs of sugar and go with Trusty Turbo. Pitch the yeast in the mash DON'T COVER and stand back - this three blends of yeast means business give it plenty of head room because it will create a flipping mess. Maybe a 35 gallon trash can about 1/2 full of Well, Rain, Creek or Pond water, sugar and whatever else you want to throw in there (Cracked Corn, Wheat, Barely, Rice, nasty fruit, etc...) I would boil it all good first, allow it to come down to room temperature then pitch trusty turbo. Yep you'll most definitely have drunken hogs then. Sweet potatoes peel mash is yummy.

Last edited: