Has anybody here ever grown new grape vines from cutting?

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Before I start, sorry if this is the wrong category for this topic....I'm new here and just figuring things out.

I have some concord grape vines that we really like and I'd like to plant new ones. I ran across the following link that discusses a method to get new vines by using cuttings from existing vines.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Articles/vine_pruning/cutting.html

Have any of you had success doing this?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I did this past spring (or late winter, I guess). I read you could just stick the cuttings in the ground, but I put them in pots filled with compost mixed with sand and kept them in a relatively dark building until they started to bud and root. It worked, but after having done this . . . I've since learned that grapes will survive better over the long haul if you graft them onto disease resistant rootstock. So long as you don't mind the possibility of losing your new vines some day . . . it worked really well for me! :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have a vineyard of Concords entirely from cuttings.
Stuck in the good garden soil and then transplanted to the site when well rooted in spring.
Make sure they are right side up! Sounds silly but easy to put in upside down.
We got them from DH's grandfather's vineyard who started his the same way.
French varietals generally require rootstocks. We don't use them around here and this area grew most of the Concord grapes for Welch's.
Hope this helps.