Has anyone else read: DIRT: The Erosion of Civilizations

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I read this earlier in the year on the recommendation of a review printed in HobbyFarms. The author, Montgomery, is not necessarily the best at writing--the first chapter beats you over the head with the topic's premise and could have been 1/2 as long--great, however, for understanding how ALL civilizations have (equally) abused their soil. He does NOT suggest that we protect every little smelt that lives in the agricultural water sources, but I got a good perspective of how to treat the small (5 acres) amount of land that I own to keep it viable. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Civilizations-David-R-Montgomery/dp/0520248708

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have not seen that one yet. I did read another book about top soil years back and cant remember the title. :/

I will look out for DIRT: The Erosion of Civilizations, it sounds like it is right up my alley!

I've been busy painting the kitchen I didn't even know you posted this thread!! :p Thank you!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Not to hijack or anythng ;) Speaking of painting, I still have two rooms to paint in my house--the hallway and masterbathroom. I am dreading both rooms and that's why I've waited so long.the hallway has a border that I need totake down and some of it is over the open stairwell, and both rooms have a skylight..

Now, back to dirt.... :)