Has anyone read "What Came After" by Sam Winston?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH just asked me if any of my friends on here have read this book. Its a fiction, taking place in the future. I'm told it is relating to genetically modified crops and .....well a horror, really. The farmers couldn't just eat their crops or their children would be born deformed or blind....maybe kill them. They'd have to grow the crops, then send them off to be de-contaminated.
May be kinda extreme, but just wondered if anyone read it and what ya'll take on it was.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Guess not then. He found it on Kindle by accident. Probably because he had read the 'Hunger Games' books. I haven't read those yet either, but it sounds like something I might want to check out.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Hunger Games are good! Violent, but depict a world after a 'collapse'

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, thats the basic thing with the book DH read, although not the exact same nightmare.
I'm so paranoid already, if I start reading those books, I might find even more motivation, to get more SS......I might start taking self-defense classes, as well.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
They are motivators, for sure. One thing I'd like is a barrier around the property...but I am paranoid for real (not just brought on) :p

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its been on my to-do list, longer than I care to admit. I have dogs and weapons and a husband that some of the neighbors are ......well concerned about crossing, so somehow we never got ripped off, although we rare......most of the neighbors have had things pinched. But if TSHTF, I'm going to be mad that we didn't tend to finishing the fence.
Tell you what.....I don't think he read those 'Hunger Game' books from Kindle and I'm about to leave for my cushy, do nothing job. I'll see if I can bring the first one along. I can always use a little motivation.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We are really lacking in the protection department, we have weaponry. We need to add more ammunition to our stores, one advantage is that our property is very defendable. We have a boundary fence on two sides of the property, it is just barbed wire grown up with briers and weeds. It would take a bit longer to get around it, plus you can see in all directions from the boundaries with adequate camouflage. That would be handy. Then we have a look out, on the front part where you can see in most directions and conceal yourself at the same time. The dog is good alarm system, we know his barking patterns. But lately he hasn't been active for some reason, I think its because we have had torrential down pours for days.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, in addition to finishing the fence, I'd like to experiment with a PSP system of underground living (in my case, above ground, but buried none the less). What can be safer than having a hidden house?
I was wrong. He read the books on Kindle. I asked him when he was bringing me to work last night. I'll get DD to loan me her's......thats if she didn't get it from the library. Or, maybe I'll just be bringing my DH's Kindle to work tonight.
I'm on this healthy eating kick right now and trying to do other things to improve my overall health, so assuming all that will work, and I have motivation (fear), I might get some really cool chores done on my 'off time.'