Has Anyone Tried the Mittleider Method?

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Apologies if my search didn't show any threads that are already devoted to this topic.

If I understand this concept correctly, his gardening method focuses on vertical growth, low but focused watering, and high nutrient infusions. His raised beds are soilless! (One-third sand-and two-thirds sawdust, resting on regular soil.)

http://growfood.com/
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/vgen/mittleider-garden-method.htm

I would love some feedback from anyone who has tried this approach. Did it work to increase yields?

grow-box-400x266.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nah never tried any of that new fangled gardening methods. If I increase my yields anymore my wife might become allergic to canning all together. She already told me last year she was allergic to tomatoes this is the first picking from 2 1/2 of 6 rows last year.
IMG_20170728_135040057.jpg

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nah never tried any of that new fangled gardening methods. If I increase my yields anymore my wife might become allergic to canning all together. She already told me last year she was allergic to tomatoes this is the first picking from 2 1/2 of 6 rows last year. View attachment 6171

You should copyright YOUR method! :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd never heard of it until just now. Interesting! I'll be doing some more reading. Thanks for posting!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I looked into the Mittleider Method, but I didn't like his dependence on commercial fertilizers instead of compost. Some of his ideas sounded good though; I'm still thinking about his ideas on automatic watering and such.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Am I understanding right? It's like hydroponic sorta, using a sand/perlite/sawdust medium? Because the plants are getting nutrients from the liquid rather than the soil?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I can't imagine doing it on a large scale. My garden is big and ugly (weedy!) and produces fine. Sometimes a crop fails, but overall I struggle to get it all preserved. We end up feeding a lot to chickens, goats, and sheep. I'm more for labor-saving practices over a large space, rather than more intensive small space practices. I have plenty space, but labor is a hard limit! Only so much I can do!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Calista how much garden space are you working with?

Lasagna gardening a.k.a. Back to Earth (BtE) gardening seems to be the favorite gardening method on this forum, btw.