Has anyone tried this?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out a way to store nuts, like walnuts or almonds, for a long time without them going rancid. My freezer is tiny, and I've lost too many freezers in my life to feel sanguine about them for long term food storage so I dry and can almost everything.
I had an idea that I'd like to run up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes; since the fats in nuts go rancid as a result of exposure to oxygen, would storing them in mason jars with oxygen absorbers and then vacuum sealing the jars do the trick? Would this work for lard as well (maybe without the oxy absorber :confused:)

Bush Woman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I haven't tryed it with nuts, because nuts don't grow in my area! But, I don't see why it wouldn't work!!!! :thumbsup I basically do that with a large portion of our lard right after I am done rendering it, and it works awesome!! Keeps for years ( I found one the other year, dated 10years pevious, and it was still fine!)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cool, thanks Bush Woman (love your name, by the way- I have another internet friend calls herself Swamp Woman). I have 5 hazelnut trees going in this year, and I have been promised all the extra fat from a neighbor's pig to render this year, and have been wracking my brains