Hawaiian Sweet Bread

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Hawaiian Sweet Bread

This recipe calls for the dough to be mixed in a bread machine and baked in the oven. Instead of a bread machine, you can use a mixer like a Kitchen Aid that can handle bread dough.

1 c warm water
5 T white sugar
3 to 4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 T dry milk powder
2 T dry potato flakes
1 T active dry yeast
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon extract
2 eggs
4 T margarine

Measure ingredients into the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Set machine for dough.

Let the dough rise once in the bread machine, once before baking.

If using a mixer, let the dough rise once in the covered bowl, and rise again covered in the loaf pan or baking sheet before baking.

Place dough in a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Allow to rise until doubled. Preheat the oven to 350F (175 C).

Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Crust should be golden and bread should sound hollow when thumped

NOTE: I make two round rounds on a baking sheet, instead of the 9x5 loaf pan called for in the recipe..

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This sounds good. Always looking for new bread recipes to try.
I've made a Hawiia Sweet bread, but it uses pineapple juice to sweeten.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Hey Kel - does this bread just rise 1 time? I will be using my mixer and not a bread machine.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
And this is part of my problem with posting recipes..... Just like some of those old cookbooks I have, the assumption is there that "everyone knows" what is between the lines. :D

2dream - once in the bread machine, once before baking. When I use my Kitchen Aid mixer, I let it rise once in the covered bowl, and rise again covered in the loaf pan or baking sheet before baking.

Hope that helps....

My nieces (10, 14 and 17) like this as well as the store-bought version, and it costs less to make.

ETA: I use unsalted butter instead of the margarine, but I think either works. Let me know what you think....

Latest posts