hay bailing equipment

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
this may sound like a silly question but im looking to get into bailing my own hay with some questions on equipment will any standard sized tractor like a oliver 770 or john deere 4020 around that size of tractor will their pto fit any regular sized square bailer?

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am no expert on equipment. I have a New Holland 4x4 round baler. It makes soft core bales when hooked up to a 40 HP tractor and hardcore bales when hooked up to a 75 HP tractor. I am trading in my 40 HP tractor for a 90 HP tractor, because HP makes all the difference to most jobs. The 40 HP works, but the 75 does a way better job; its that way with the mower/conditioner as well.

There shouldn' be any difference in the the PTO shaft sizing between any tractor. The only difference will be in how the PTO on each individual peice of equipment is designed. By this I mean in some cases, its a push & twist and other cases its a squeeze, push, twist. There are many other secret hand shakes for hooking up PTO s and it all depends on the equipment you buy. Don't be confused, they will all work. I hate hooking up PTO s. Why they can't make them consistant is beyond me. Its the same with starting tractors. Every single tractor you get into has a different set of hoops to jump through to get them going. Even the tractor mechanics have to ask you how to start your tractor there are so many different ways.

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ok so if i get a oliver or john deere tractor farmall or internation whatever i decied it will hook up to any make of square bailer?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BirchHatchery said:
ok so if i get a oliver or john deere tractor farmall or internation whatever i decied it will hook up to any make of square bailer?
Don't go under 40 HP for that baler, square or round. ;)
Trim sends
//bt//

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BirchHatchery said:
Yes it should. But as Icu...says don't go below 40HP for your tractor. 40HP is the bare minimum.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The JD-4020 is usually around 90 horsepower and should be fine for any type of baler. The O-770 is a little bit lighter duty tractor (I think somewhere around 55 HP) but it should be OK for a square baler. Both are excellent tractors. It appears that you new at this so I would advise that you take it slowly and learn as much as possible BEFORE you make any purchases. Good luck and let us know how you are progressing.

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thanks for the comments im trien to learn as much as i can im going to buy one peice of equipment at a time im thinking of either buying a john deere or a international as we have both dealers for parts close ive been around agriculter my whole life but more livestock than any grain farming ive bailed hay and straw and i think it would be more money saving with the price of hay now if i grew my own alfalfa

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
While many people swear by John Deere, personally, I'd never own one. I have yet to run one that I like.

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i bought a ford 50 8n for rackin hay and such now im looking for larger tractor to run a small bailer i found a 52 john deere A rated 32 horse they used it to a run a new holland 66 bailer