Hay help - look at CL ad photo

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
The only real way to tell is to cut open a bale and look inside.

If that is the Columbus Ohio CL, I have to agree that it would more than likely be dry. This has been a terrible summer for rain here in Ohio.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Even if it is dry - you don't want it dusty either. It might have also been baled up too soon and could mold on the inside. (hence the cutting it open)

It does look fine from the picture.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good points. Thanks! Didn't know about dust. So much to learn :)

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would buy a couple bales and open them up and see what they are like before buying. I always look at my hay before I buy.

Also, if you are in Ohio, you may need to purchase your hay for the year. My hay guy had a great year with getting 4 cuttings and he is already almost out of hay. People in my area are already having a hard time finding hay (at least good quality hay). I got my hay for the year already and I'm glad I'm one of the first people my hay guy calls.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hay seems rather abundant in our area at the moment, but I am going to buy for the year. It's hard to choose because I can't really run around and visit the farms, none are close to me - most are at least 40 minutes away, and I need someone who will deliver to me.
Our feed mill/store has a hay auction every Saturday from early October until the next spring, for anyone having hay emergencies. It's a little more expensive, but nice insurance in case you run out.

I need a hay guy :D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I need a hay guy :D
We found one, an hour away, but he is the cousin of one of our friends, and he saves hay for us, and we get a special "family" price. My hubby sometimes goes up on a weekend and helps them collect the bales out the field to put them up in the barn. (When he does that we get some free hay)

We have only gotten hay from him last year and this year (still got to get another 100 more bales) but the quality is outstanding, lovely hay, lovely smell, very little weeds. (the goats do eat the weeds but the horse doesn't like them)

This year we have a horrible amount of crickets, but its keeping the chickens and ducks fat and happy. The hay came in with tons and tons of crickets. The chickens now follow me if I've got hay for the horse - they run like crazy to get there before the horse - its very amusing.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
our alfalfa from a few weeks ago. :D
34853_1447765826457_1002520499_31304695_2696278_n.jpg

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You may just have to find the time to drive around. It really is hard to find a good, honest and reliable hay guy. I've run into too many who claim to have great hay but their idea of great hay and my idea of great hay are 2 different things. I'm hoping my current hay guy will stay in the business for a long time. He not only has great hay but he delivers for a fee which is very helpful for me. He is young and says he likes doing it so here's hoping. :fl

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oooh, that's nice hay Wildsky!