Hazelnuts?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was trying to think of a type of nut plant I could grow and thought Hazelnuts would be a good idea....BUT...the more I research the more confused I get.

Some places say they only get 6' tall. Some places say 15'. I need SHRUBS. I don't have room for a full-fledged TREE.

What variety should I get to grow in Colorado that wont be too huge?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Jackie Clay (Backwoods Home Magazine) said they can be grown as hedges.

This site.. also says they make a great border or privacy hedge.

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/AmericanHazelnut.htm?gclid=CPKCgsi6_ZcCFQa-sgod2U7RCg

Hazelnut, American is native to eastern Nebraska and is medium to fast growing and starts to produce nuts in 3 to 5 years. The nuts mature in late summer and are very tasty if you can collect them before the birds and animals.
SPACING WITHIN ROWS: 3-6 FT
SPACING BETWEEN ROWS: 12-16 FT
HEIGHT: 6-8 FT

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Those sound perfect. Of course they are sold out :p

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
There are two kinds that you could plant.
The native hazel and the European/English hazel. I planted 12 natives and none survived. Maybe deer, maybe drought. My English planted at the same time in the same area are doing fine 6 years later.
That's my experience with hazels. I'd love to get more but hesitate to waste money on plants that may die so I'm reading up on taking hazel cuttings from my successful bushes.

They coppice hazels in Britain so they can be drastically cut back!

You would get fast crops of nuts from Chinese Chestnuts. Plant two for more nuts; one will give you some but cross pollination gives loads.
The 17 year locusts ate my tree down to nothing and it cane back with many shoots so you could trim this short tree back for many years.