Healing Notebook

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing one of these. I try to self treat as much as I can. I independently study natural cures, illnesses and various alternative therapies. I was thinking that most things I discover about my own health or about treatments i am using is through my journal. Granted I have to sort through all the fussing about the kids AND its on the computer. If my computer dies than all the notes die too. More and more I think we have to learn to take care of ourselves and our families. To that effect I have taken a first aid cpr course through our scout leader. I am going to take another 16 hour course through him also. I figure any learning I get in these areas is not wasted. The more I can do for myself and the family the more secure I feel.

Any of you guys ever work on a notebook like this. I know my aunt had one. I wish we had it and I wish I could read German so I could learn from her. So for examply what I would record is symptoms and maybe what I found out about these. What my guesses are. If there was a doctors visit what they said. What herbal or therapy did I use. Any issues I had with any herbal or therapy. Supplements, nutritional issues ect. A kinda log I can read through to remind myself of somethign I learned or a reference I can look back on.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not the same, but when DH was going through his cancer year I kept a notebook. In it I kept track of his appointments, all of his numerous doctors, medications, with dosages and frequencies, and each time we got one refilled. I also sat in on all his doctor visits, to take notes. Knowing that hearing, and remembering, and understanding are all hard enough even when one is not in pain and fear. Also, I have some medical background and he has none, so it seemed a good idea to have two pairs of ears listening. I would recommend this to anyone going through a major illness.

At the moment (I just started it last week) I am researching herbs, specifically those I have in the garden or that are growing in this area. Also herbs, or supplements, or essential oils that I already have on hand, bought in the past for (usually) one particularly purpose. I made a list, and am taking them one at a time, and researching each one on line and through my rather extensive herb library. There is so much information out there, about so many herbs and such - it can (and does) get quite overwhelming. By narrowing things down to the specific plants or products that are already here, and studying each intently, I hope to get a better picture. I will also noting what my experiences are with each of these plants. Once I am through my list (there are already 35 plants on the list) I will start researching others to see what I might want to add to the garden.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been steadily taking notes. I have a list of medicinals i can gather in the woods and fields around our farm. Actually a HUGE selection. Some things I will plant also. I just think if I am going to depend on myself more for care then I am going to need references and reminders of what I have tried or learned about.

So just right now I have my list of medicinals and am filling in the gaps as to how each of these is gathered, prepared, stores, and various uses. Also where on the farm or in the woods I have seen these and times of year. ect.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can read German! If you get your hands on that book I'll put it into English for you! :)

I have been keeping records like that for my animals all of my life, but not for myself- however, I am going to begin, and am also going to keep logs for everyone in my family- known allergies, what their medical histories are, etc.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
I can read German! If you get your hands on that book I'll put it into English for you! :)

I have been keeping records like that for my animals all of my life, but not for myself- however, I am going to begin, and am also going to keep logs for everyone in my family- known allergies, what their medical histories are, etc.
This is always a good idea no matter in which direction one goes for medical care - whether to the garden, or a herbalist or a regular doctor.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In nursing school we had to make drug cards, to learn about each med.
I've been thinking about making plant cards....but putting them in aphebetical order, in a book. But the thing is, I want the most comprehensive book on all types of healing herbs to land right on me. Thus far it hasn't.
The thing about making a card for all my local plants, is that its taylored to my neck of the woods. Its been on my mind for a while, cuz I just don't yet have the perfect book....several good ones, but if I want info on such and such a plant, I have to first decide which of my 20 books to look in.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok, I know it is sacrilege to dessecrate a book... so I'm gonna hide when I say this .. :hide could you take pertinent pages from each book and put 'em together to make a book that is tailored towards what you want?

I know, I know... sacrilege!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I like that idea too. Sometimes I have too many remedies to know where to start with things. Its a bit overwhelming sometimes.
I need to start keeping a journal of things. I don't want to write-write, but to take notes about the day and things that happened, what I ate, weather and what I did. I suspect it will come in handy someday, but now I just have to find some time to do it...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, how are all these notebooks coming along? I have made a list of the herbs I have on hand, or in the garden, or growing wild here in the neighbourhood, and am taking them one at a time. First I do a google search - "health benefits of ....", and take a look at all that is offered on the first google page. Its pretty easy to tell which of these are valid and useful, and which are just rehashed copies of other sources. On a bit of scratch paper I note all the bits that appear useful to me as they appear. I also have a fairly extensive herb library that I have collected over the years, because it is a subject which interests me. As I travel to Europe every few years (to visit DH's family) I am able to collect books from Germany and England as well (both places have a higher regard for herbal medicine than we do here in the US). After taking all these notes - it usually doesn't take up more than a page of notes - I distill them down to their essence, and put them in a logical order, and copy them into my notebook. I have a looseleaf notebook; one page for each entry, with room to add more if necessary. Mostly medicinal facts; for some of the more unusual herbs I have added the occasional recipe or suggested use in the kitchen that I might not have known before. Also I note if they are used as dye plants, as that is my next planned herbal project. DH and I are fairly healthy at the moment, but I have also made a section in the notebook for specific complaints that we each have, and have added notes specific to these. So I have pages for specific herbs, and what they are good for, as well as specific complaints, and what might be good for them. All this brings things down to a useful level for me - the things that don't apply don't get included. I am no longer young enough to be concerned about periods or pregnancy, and there are no children in the house, so I don't pay any attention to herbs or effects particular to these issues. The weather lately has been rather dismal, and not conducive to outdoor work, so I have been able to work on at least one, and sometimes two herbs a day. My notebook is coming right along! How about yours?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
In nursing school we had to make drug cards, to learn about each med.
I've been thinking about making plant cards....but putting them in aphebetical order, in a book. But the thing is, I want the most comprehensive book on all types of healing herbs to land right on me. Thus far it hasn't.
The thing about making a card for all my local plants, is that its taylored to my neck of the woods. Its been on my mind for a while, cuz I just don't yet have the perfect book....several good ones, but if I want info on such and such a plant, I have to first decide which of my 20 books to look in.
Ooooh that is a great idea! You can add to or change out the cards when you learn more about the plants... I'm stealing your idea!

Latest posts