Healthy Fats and Oils.......IMO!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, I just couldn't help it.....and it is raining tonight, so I thought I'd start this promised thread. I really feel that doing everything we can to stay healthy is a huge part of being self sufficient.

What is healthy for one person is not necessarily healthy for the next person. This thread is about what I have found that works for me and my family, after many months (years, really) of research. It is not intended to start a debate, so if you really, really, REALLY disagree, please start another thread. If you can be polite, please post here. Thanks for keeping it civil! ;)

Keep in mind that the corn and soy industry is a multi-billion dollar industry, and for that very reason, misinformation abounds. The pharmaceutical industry benefits greatly from this misinformation, and they "own" the media through the sheer volume of their advertising. I have counted over 20% of pages in Prevention that are owned by big pharm alone.

Here is the tip of the iceberg that I want to say about fats:

There is a lot of confusion about fats.which are healthy, which are not, in what amounts, and how can one find good fats in the market? What is propaganda used to sell products, and what is true?

First, some definitions:

Saturated and the unsaturated (mono-, poly-, etc.) refers to the molecular structure of the fat in question. It refers to how many double carbon bonds there are. A mono-unsaturated fat has one. Poly-unsaturated fats have two or more. Saturated fats have none.

Each double carbon bond creates a bend or twist in the molecule. Saturated fats are straighter in shape, so they pack together tightly, hence the tendency to be solid at room temperature, 72 degrees F. The more twists in the molecule, the less densely they pack, and the more fluid they are. Mono-unsaturated olive oil has one twist, so it is fluid at warmer temperatures, and becomes more solid in the refrigerator. Poly-unsaturated fats, such as canola oil, are liquid even when quite cold.

One of the biggest dangers from fats that are obtained from all natural sources, whether organic or not, is whether or not they are rancid or oxidized. This means that free radicals are created..atoms with unpaired electrons, that are very unstable, and cause free radical cascades when they enter are bodies..they steal an electron from the nearest atom, turning it into an unstable atom that then steals an electron from the next atom, and so forth. This cascade can have a negative impact on millions of atoms, and the DNA of the cell is even endangered.

Each atom that becomes a free radical and then corrects this by stealing a neighbors electron is still a damaged atom that can no longer function normally. Although normal body functions create free radicals and we are designed to cope with this through a healthy diet high in antioxidants, we cannot overcome the unnatural amount of oxidative stress found in todays world through diet alone. One approach is to limit the amount of oxidative stress through diet and lifestyle, to the extent possible.

Saturated fats (animal fats such as butter, lard, and tallow and tropical oils such as coconut and palm oils) are highly stable due to the carbon-hydrogen pairs of their molecules, and do not go rancid easily, even when heated. This reduces the chances of oxidation and free radical production. Lard was actually used in centuries past to preserve foods, such as meats and eggs, without refrigeration. Tallow was used for deep frying foods because of its ability to be heated in a sustained fashion without losing quality..what we now refer to as oxidation.

Mono-unsaturated fats are next, with only one double carbon bond, so more stable. These include olive oil, nut oils, peanut oil, and avocado oil. They can tolerate some heating, so are good for cooking, if the smoke point is not reached. One of the problems, though, is the process in which they are extracted from the nuts or fruits. Many processes use heat, so the oils come to our kitchens already oxidated. Many use solvents in the extraction process, and then bleach and deodorize the oil to make it more palatable to the uninformed consumer, most of whome prefer an odorless, colorless, and bland oil. Each step of the process makes the oil more and more poisonous to our bodies. So look for the words cold-pressed and solvent-free on the labels, and look for oils that retain some color, smell, and taste of the plant from which they were derived. Extra virgin olive oil is a good bet, especially organic.

Poly-unsaturated fats are the ones with two or more double carbon bonds, and these are the least stable of all the fats. They oxidize quite readily. Even the heat created by the friction that is inevitable in cold-pressing starts the oxidation process. These oils should never be heated, as this creates a free-radical bombardment when eaten. The way they are processed today, with solvents, deodorizing and bleaching, removes any food value. Add to that frightening list is the way the grains commonly used in these oils are grown..with genetically modified seed, chemicals that are retained in the seed, and insecticides that include hormone disruptors. Also consider the amount of time from farm to table, and there is even more time for rancidity and oxidation to develop. These oils, if used at all, should be an extremely small part of the diet, and of extremely high quality and organic. They should purchased in small quantities, be kept in the refrigerator, and used up quickly.

More to come.......

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok, well can I say that two years ago I made my family quit using canola oil and that the only oil I use is Olive Oil? Virgin or Extra Virgin....I've a whole cupboard full of it!!!

Uh...does that fit in with this thread???

<<<am a little bit confused............ :hu

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
I am glad that you are sharing this information. thank you :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, Aly, ya did good! Now get some animal fats back into your diet, too. Don't be so afraid of them, as I was. As long as they are from well-raised animals and if you render it yourself, you are in complete control of the process.....gentle heat and proper storage and freshness and NO hydrogenation.....info on that soon to come....

Saturated fats are the safest.....coconut and palm oils, butter, tallow, lard, etc. Don't forget the egg yolks from your truly free-ranging hens, ducks, guineas, etc., and the cream from that lovely milk some of us are privileged to have access to!

A statement was made some years ago by a nutritionist....it was a false statement, but the media latched onto it and it is still believed today.....that fats that are solid at room temperature are solid in our arteries. Our arteries are not room temp. Even coconut oil is liquid at less than 98.6 degrees F. And the fat in artery plaque is mostly POLY-UNSATURATED!!!!! Veg oils like canola, corn, soy!

Cholesterol is a necessary nutrient. It is a building block of hormones, for one thing. Hormones are the chemical messengers of our body, and every function relies on them......we commonly think only of reproductive hormones, but they are only a very small part of the hormone activity in our bodies at any given second.

The problem is when cholesterol is.......oxidized! And the numbers that we are tested for do not tell us if the cholesterol in our blood is oxidized or not, only the numbers....and it is the ratio of "good" to "bad" cholesterol that is important, not the total. Cholesterol-lowering drugs will be a topic for tomorrow.....how I made a doctor almost cry......Tune in on Friday!

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
FreeMotion, will you tell us how to render fats in another post, in the future? Maybe when winter comes and we have more "free" time inside :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Actually, I was just thinking of trying some rendering in a solar oven! Then I don't have to smell it in my kitchen....All you do is grind up the fat in the meat grinder if you have it, dice it as fine as you can if you don't have a grinder....best yet, get the meat guy to grind it for you if you can talk him into it!

Put it into a large stock pot with some water on the bottom, and simmer, simmer, simmer as long as you can stand it.....maybe a day? I don't leave it when I'm not here, too afraid of a grease fire....I keep it covered, and make sure the water doesn't boil away.

Then strain it with a screen-type wire strainer into a big bowl or another pot that can fit in the fridge, and refrigerate until cool. Take the fat off the top and dump out the water. Feed the strainings to the chickens or add bird seed and make suet cakes. Add cayenne powder to discourage squirrels, the birds don't mind it.

You can store it in ziploc freezer bags in your freezer, or re-melt it and store it in jars in the fridge. My mom kept it in a cold pantry in the winter, but I prefer the fridge, as it isn't as cold anywhere in my house, even in winter.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OkieAnnie said:
FreeMotion, will you tell us how to render fats in another post, in the future? Maybe when winter comes and we have more "free" time inside :)
Freemotion may have other advice, and I am willing to be taught differently, but until then - I cut up the fat into small pieces, or run it through the food grinder, and let it render out in a slow cooker on low.

Thank you, free, for this post (and those to follow). My instinct has told me for a long time that there is something terribly wrong with the accepted wisdom about fats; "Nourishing Traditions" was an eye opener, and I look forward to seeing your take on the matter. And I am eager to hear how you made the doctor cry :lol:.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Awesome topic. I agree mostly :D

What is healthy for one person is not necessarily healthy for the next person.
Not a total disagreement, but maybe a terminology issue. Unless you have a very specific disorder, I think that what is good for most humans is pretty consistent. I think there ARE people who are able to tolerate a higher level of DAMAGE caused by rancid polyunsaturates...but you can't convince me they are good for anything but making a door stop squeaking until you can find the W-D 40 :D

I look forward to your upcoming post on statins. For anyone who wants to "read ahead", here is a great website by a former NASA flight surgeon centered on statins, cholesterol, heart disease, etc...

Here is a link to his personal experience with stain drugs
http://spacedoc.net/rest_of_my_story.html

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Of course you would catch that, I was counting on you to keep it clear!!! :D

When I wrote that line, I was thinking in terms of amounts of fats that could be eaten without gaining weight, which was the focus of the class I was teaching for the chiro. I definitely did not make that clear! I agree, the types of fats that are healthy are healthy for EVERYONE.

Even our dogs and cats (well, not mine, anymore!) now get our diseases.....cardiovascular disease and diabetes, to name two.....since they are prevented from eating whole, fresh kill with the skin and fat, and are given corn, soy, etc and over-processed foods....