Healthy good tasting pie crust recipe?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I have just the one for you!!! I use it all the time for fruit pies, chocolate pies or quiches. I use it with olive oil or canola oil. And whole-wheat pastry flour or whole-wheat flour. It is very nutritious, very easy and tasty. So, presenting (drum roll, please):

Whole-wheat, no-roll piecrust
1 cups flour (whole-wheat pastry flour best, whole-wheat flour okay)
1 tsp sugar
tsp salt
cup oil
3 tbsp milk

Place all ingredients in pie pan. Mix with fork until well blended and pat into the pan. Push pastry up the sides and form a nice edge with thumb and finger. Prick to avoid bubbling during baking.
Thanks, I'll give this a try!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
keljonma said:
sylvie said:
I have enough late apples to make a pie.
I'd like this one to be made as healthy as possible and still taste good. No lard, shortening or the like. No graham crackers.
Is it possible to make an extra virgin olive oil crust or something similar without it baking soggy or hard as a rock?
You wouldn't want to use olive oil unless you are making a savory pie! The flavor would overpower a fruit pie, imo.
Oh, a savory pie sounds delicious, too. Thanks for the idea!. Maybe onion and blue cheese with some herbs.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
annmarie said:
annmarie said:
Here are 2 more oil pie crust recipes. One is for a double crust that you can roll out, the other is a single crust press-in recipe. I don't use shortening in anything so this is how I always make my pie crusts. (I use canola oil in these, as canola is the other healthy oil besides olive, but has a milder flavor.)

2 crust roll-out oil pastry
INGREDIENTS
2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk

DIRECTIONS
Mix flour and salt together. Pour milk and oil into one measuring cup, do not stir, and add all at once to flour. Stir until mixed, and shape into 2 flat balls. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or more.
Roll out on lightly floured surface.
Single crust press-in oil pastry
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cold 1% milk
1/2 cup canola oil

DIRECTIONS
Sift together flour, sugar and salt. In a small bowl, beat milk into canola oil with fork until frothy. Form a well in flour mixture. Add canola oil mixture and combine gently with a fork until crumbly.
Pat into a pie plate as you would for a crumb crust. Add filling and bake according to filling recipe.
Sorry, meant to edit my post but somehow I managed to quote and duplicate myself! Must have hit the wrong button. Edited to add that I use canola oil!
Thank you for the 2 recipes and the note about canola. I may have to buy some more apples to try all these to choose my new favorite. And very happy to do so :ya!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I've always used canola oil in my pie crust recipe. But this last yr I started making a whole wheat crust(fresh ground) and I just started using lard in my recipe as it is a natural substance & supposed to be healthier for you than shortening(made with soybean oil!!) I used it on my pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving & the niece & nephews went nuts over them!! Said it was the best they had ever eaten. They don't eat organic things at all. I did not tell them it was organic & whole wheat! :bun