healthy vegetarian

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ooo! There is a book out called "The Vegetarian Myth" by a former vegan. Being a vegan almost killed her. She is now paleo I think.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I also have a friend who became really ill while being vegetarian. The doctor prescribed that she go and eat a steak and afterwards she began to improve. I'm not kidding. She had been working hard to get enough protein but the doctor said she could not possibly EAT enough of those substitute proteins to get enough protein despite having a very healthy appetite. She was a very heavy lady at the time (she is quite trim now). She now eats meat occasionally and works out regularly.

However, there are healthy vegetarians out there. Your friend needs to talk with a nutritionist. I think he needs to discard the low fat idea in conjunction with the no meat. Diets that are too restrictive are just that....too restrictive.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I also have a friend who became really ill while being vegetarian. The doctor prescribed that she go and eat a steak and afterwards she began to improve. I'm not kidding. She had been working hard to get enough protein but the doctor said she could not possibly EAT enough of those substitute proteins to get enough protein despite having a very healthy appetite. She was a very heavy lady at the time (she is quite trim now). She now eats meat occasionally and works out regularly.

However, there are healthy vegetarians out there. Your friend needs to talk with a nutritionist. I think he needs to discard the low fat idea in conjunction with the no meat. Diets that are too restrictive are just that....too restrictive.
There in lies the difference. Its vegans that have the hardest time. Vegetarians that do eat good eggs and cheese, and drink milk will usually fair quite well.