Heard from my friend in Toowoomba, QLD

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
From my Aussie friend in the midst of all the flooding:

We are on a MOUNTAIN!!!! the creek that runs through the city swells when we have a large downpour of rain but i would have NEVER thought in a MILLION years this could happen. Never.

I don't have alot but i have sufficient to last us a little while. All the shops are out of fresh fruit and veggies, milk and bread. Canned food is going too. Milk is my only concern. I have powdered but lets be honest - powdered milk is GROSS. I don't know when we will be able to get trucks through to bring supplies. apparently dairies are dumping their milk because they can't get it out.

My brother is in the same situation in Bundaberg. He was going to try and get some yeast from the brewery so he could make some bread. lol But i am SOOOOO thankful that i have canned tomatoes, lots and lots of pasta, some rice, canned fruit. And i'm thankful that i can cook! I can make bread, biscuits, pancakes etc and i have the ingredients to do that. Apparently flour is running out of stores too. And eggs. there were no eggs when i went shopping yesterday. I joined a FB page about the Toowoomba Floods and some people are on there saying they have no food. I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR FOOD STORAGE!!!!! I never thought i'd need to use it.

And my friend in Atlanta:
We are on day 4 of being iced in here in ATL. Things are starting to melt a little and the plows are finally making it into the neighborhoods. But here the ice has been a natural disaster that, just like someone posted, has had everyone in a panic and the shelves are empty without trucks being able to get in. I only got a gallon of milk before the storm hit and we have been fine since I had things in storage. These are the times when we need to have it stored and use it.

Not that anyone here needs encouragement to be prepared, but it's interesting to see people actually using their food storage in emergency conditions.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Great post! Very encouraging. I have been depleting my storage a bit since I have not been able to go out to the store. Just snow here and the schools have been closed all week. 13 year olds suck up food like MAD...especially when there is nothing else much to do :/

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's always good to have a reminder - "Yes, there is a reason why we do this!!" :D

I made veggie stew the other night; went to get potatoes out of the cabinet, thinking I had 3-4 left in the bag - nope, gone!! (Thanks, DH. :/) No problem, I went to my emergency stores, where I have about a dozen or so cans of diced potatoes; problem solved. :cool:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's good to hear both of your friends are managing and doing well.

I think this is another reason for us SS folks not to hide what we do. I don't like to advertise how prepared I am. But I think sharing with others how important is is to have emergency storage.

That food calculator someone posted last week works great. I cut it down to 1/3 just to see if I had at least 3 most of supplies. I found many things I was missing. So those are the things I am working on now.

Bless all of those who need it.

g

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
I saw one thing on the news though that set me off. A clerk in a store, standing in front of almost empty shelves in the baby section, said "A mother came in here looking for formula for her baby, and we just don't have any."

And I said "What the hell are those things on your chest lady?!?! They're not there just to attract male attention!"

Granted, I do not know the womans situation, but that's what your boobs are for. Baby formula is probably the worst stuff you could ever feed an infant.
Totally agree. Of course, if she's not been nursing all along for whatever reason, it's hard to get started again... not impossible, depending on the age of the baby, but pretty difficult.

Would someone post that food calculator link here? I'm interested to check it out.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Neko-chan, the news in the states show very little about anything that happens down under. Flooding in Brazil is all over the news, but a major flood in Australia barely gets a mention. I go online to find out what is happening. I also check the news from other nations. I learn more about what is happening in my own country that way too.

tamlynn, glad to hear your friends are ok.

Good reminder about being prepared. I need to redo my car kit.

Latest posts