Hell hole

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my wife's friends is in Saint Louis Mo for some kind of quilting thing (she owns a quilting shop) My wife asked.me if I would drive her about 2 1/2 hours one way so she could see her friend that she hasn't seen in like 5 years - so I did... I dropped my wife of at the Marriott under the arch so she could have dinner with her friend and do "girl things". I was like a fish out of water lost in the city and left to my own devices...

I found a restaurant called Broadway Oyster Bar to get something to eat directly across the street from the Saint Louis Cardinals Stadium and about 6 blocks from the arch where I dropped my wife off at. The food was good, the music was excellent but man what a hell hole this place was in.

Here's a few pictures of Broadway Oyster Bar.
IMG_20170828_181913058.jpg

IMG_20170828_182252206.jpg

And the musician who played the guitar and sang like no tommorow. He is very seasoned and polished musician. I tipped him $5.00 because his playing was so enjoyable to my ears.
IMG_20170828_183829188.jpg

I ordered mud bugs and pasta it was also excellent...
IMG_20170828_183001490.jpg

So after I was done with supper and finished a really good Bock craft beer, I decided to take a walk. I headed out the restaurant and around back and this is what I saw... What a a f'ing hell hole and only 6 blocks from the arch and 1 street over from the Saint Louis Cardinals Stadium...
IMG_20170828_193944657.jpg

IMG_20170828_194007722.jpg

IMG_20170828_194542617.jpg

This is how close I was to the arch when I took these hell hole pictures
IMG_20170828_194022820_HDR.jpg

I didn't know it at the time but Saint Louis is second only to Detroit Mi for the most dangerous American Cities --->https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/1-detroit/amp/

Needless to say... I was approached by 2 people to try and panhandle off me... I had a knife pulled on me but the gang of kids took off running when I...

I just couldn't wait to get the hell out of this hell hole and back to the country with fresh vegetables, green grass, trees and my animals...

Why do people want to live in such a hell hole is beyond me? What's even worse is what has become of our american cities? It makes me very sad and almost to the point of embarrassment. Don't get me wrong... I'm proud to be an American but I'm not proud of this.

This thread is in stark contrast to Sumi's thread called Walking this morning... Pictures of Ireland. I guess I could call my thread Walking in the evening... pictures of Saint Louis.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's mostly like that in all the big cities and has been for decades or longer.

When we lived back in Virginia, there was a reason hubby had a concealed carry. We lived in a place Norfolk for almost a year that was ghetto. Literally. At least one shooting every night and drug busts a few times a week in the houses around the apartments. We are nice to everyone and mind our own business, so we were left alone.

We moved to Virginia Beach after that. Still in pretty much the cheapest place around. They catered to military so it was better, but we could barely afford it. VA Beach was systematically closing all trailer parks and forcing out low income apartments. Their goal at that point was no one living in the city that made less than $80k. They felt it would make it better for tourists.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's mostly like that in all the big cities and has been for decades or longer.

When we lived back in Virginia, there was a reason hubby had a concealed carry. We lived in a place Norfolk for almost a year that was ghetto. Literally. At least one shooting every night and drug busts a few times a week in the houses around the apartments. We are nice to everyone and mind our own business, so we were left alone.

We moved to Virginia Beach after that. Still in pretty much the cheapest place around. They catered to military so it was better, but we could barely afford it. VA Beach was systematically closing all trailer parks and forcing out low income apartments. Their goal at that point was no one living in the city that made less than $80k. They felt it would make it better for tourists.

While living in North Carolina - I've been to Virginia Beach a few times with my wife. It's a rough place also but not as bad as Saint Louis thumbs_down

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH wow - except for the good looking mud bug and pasta dish - that really was a horrible place!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow what a horrid place. I don't do cities, but I am thankful because our cities in NH are pretty safe. And I consider Boston to be a pretty decent city, pretty much that's as far as I ever go!

We lived in Connecticut for a while, I went on one trip to New Haven. It was horrifying!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Also- really? It's more dangerous than Chicago? Crazy... Glad you were safe. I carry everywhere, but have never needed it. But goes to show you, it'll save your behind.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes -- it's happening in ALL cities -- I am only 40 miles from downtown Norfolk & 50 from Va Beach. Lived in both cities for years but there was never the violence and drugs that are seen now. News in AM has at least one shooting in Norfolk, Portsmouth &/or Newport News/Hampton...which is just another 10-15 miles NE. Some days it's 2 or 3 shot, some dead. Sad and scarry.

I was in Norfolk for schools. We walked to schools, everywhere, really. The area is now dismal. You need to know to get out of there before dark. VA Beach, as an adult, lived in the high income end and had hotel at the Beach strip. Wouldn't even walk there now!

The cities have gangs, drugs, all the related crime situations.

So, I live in the country. Even the country can have issues but, I keep aware and my neighbors are good ones, so far. Also have a cop living on the road, that helps, 2 firemen, also.
Times are so different, I am glad I am not raising kids now. If I were a young adult, I wouldn't even plan to have any!!! Just not safe anymore. Never used to see issues like these. Maybe having two parents, family values & a good pop on the butt if I didn't "do right" is what so many of these juveniles need.