Hello All

Missamom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? Michigan - our weather changes constantly
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? My husband and I just decided we wanted to do things for ourselves
3. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? We have stocked up in the past and actually had a time when we had to use our stockpile (so happy we had it)
4. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? Yes, no not yet, hopefully getting chickens soon
5. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? My husband does the gardening, but he ensures we have what I want (tomatoes, onions, dill, carrots, pumpkins, zucchini, squash)
6. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? We have almost 10 acres a mix of country and city
7. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? I like to can fruits and vegetables. I have so much more to learn.
8. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Definitely
9. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? I choose to follow my husband - his dream is to be mountain living away from everyone living off the grid
10. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? We don't have a wood stove but we do use our fire place for heating
11. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs? I love to bake and am still working on perfecting my cooking.
12. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? I don't know much about this but interested in learning
13. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? No, and I'm not sure if I could live completely off the grid due to the job I do

We are a family of 6 in the home (2 have moved out already). We enjoy being together as a family, gardening, camping, and dune buggying. I personally enjoy baking and preserving the harvest. We are a homeschooling family that wants to teach our children to be self sufficient.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! Can you put your general location in your avatar, please? It can make a difference in climate, gardening advice and so on. We don't want your address, just a state, region or whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hooray for you and your family for wanting a more self sufficient life. Talk to old people that lived on farms during the Great Depression (not many of them left alive any more). They will tell you of hard times, maybe 1 pair of shoes per year, little to no money, BUT they never went hungry. They grew huge gardens, even the littlest child helped. A lot of them kept chickens, a milk cow and hogs. They traded for what they needed and neighbors helped neighbors. Just being able to have a spot of land to grow fruit and vegetables can make a big difference in difficult times.