Hello from a New Member

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello,

I stumbled upon this site through an e-mail that my mother sent me....Sounds like it is right up my alley!

An Introduction.

We are a family of 9...Mom(that's me)..Dad, Bethany, Rachael, Ben, Melody, Samuel, Elijah and Elisha. We live on 22 acres in Russell County, Alabama...in the middle of a hay field. Along with
our family, we have 20 chickens...with more on the way...5 goats, 5 dogs, and a donkey....

We try to do things simple...(not yet simple enough). We hunt, garden, glean, make soap, can, dehydrate, and live in a paid for moble home...we are paying for the dirt we live on, patiently waiting until we can build debt free...(or at least mostly so)

I am looking forward to getting to know the sufficientself family.

Smithx9

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
smithx9 said:
Hello,

I stumbled upon this site through an e-mail that my mother sent me....Sounds like it is right up my alley!

An Introduction.

We are a family of 9...Mom(that's me)..Dad, Bethany, Rachael, Ben, Melody, Samuel, Elijah and Elisha. We live on 22 acres in Russell County, Alabama...in the middle of a hay field. Along with
our family, we have 20 chickens...with more on the way...5 goats, 5 dogs, and a donkey....

We try to do things simple...(not yet simple enough). We hunt, garden, glean, make soap, can, dehydrate, and live in a paid for moble home...we are paying for the dirt we live on, patiently waiting until we can build debt free...(or at least mostly so)

I am looking forward to getting to know the sufficientself family.

Smithx9
Yep, you sound like our kind of folks! :D Welcome, and I can't wait to hear how that large of a family makes it now days. I am the youngest of nine, so we actually had 11 people. We homesteaded a place when I was growing up but that was long ago!

Feel free to send pics...we like those! :)

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome to you and your big family. It sounds like you are doing your share to be self-sufficient. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
welcome
I am new to the site also and there are nice people and nice info on this site.

I am right there with you on wanting to be debt free...getting closer. Just can't wait to get there!!!

beckysuzp

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there - I'm new too - found this site through backyardchickens. Finally - someone with more kids than me! We have five in a little tiny 3-bedroom house - how the heck are you doing it in a mobile home?!?! We can't wait to be more self sufficient. We have 33 chickens (12 of them heading to thefreezer on 8/23), one pig growing at a friend's house and a garden growing at the m-i-l's place - we live in a tiny little village in upstate NY, on about a tenth of an acre. We're in the process of 'looking' at farms to buy. Hope to get to know everyone here!