Hello From California - BYC member new to SS

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
New to SS but long time member of Backyard Chickens.
Needless to say I have tons of chickens... new to gardens. I need to take pictures of my garden (still small)... all I have is chicken photos right now. I dont eat my chickens but I do eat plenty of eggs.

Got some tomatoes, pumpkins, onions, cactus, sugar cane, citrus, pomegranate. I have a pair of goats and some doves. I have new aquaponics system in the works. Raised meal worms for a while (pain in the butt) but dont have them anymore. And I love composting.

Feel free to contact me with any chicken questions or advise about gardening. I hope to learn a lot because my thumb is not very green yet.

IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0847.jpg
20160327_133815-1.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey again! This is your 'official' welcome to SS! Glad you're here and I'm sure we can all learn from each other!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is a great site with lots of information on how to be a little more independent. If you can stay out of the grocery stores, and stores in general, you are better off. Please note that Tractor Supply, Atwoods, feed stores of all kinds and Lumber, building supply stores do NOT count as stores to stay out of. :lol:

If you want to garden, then click on the link to the right, TheEasyGarden.com Anything and everything you want to know, ask any questions you want, friendly folks who love to help, go check it out.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome again! You have some great looking chickens. Would love to hear more about the aquaponics system you're working on.

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welcome again! You have some great looking chickens. Would love to hear more about the aquaponics system you're working on.
Still a work in progress. Right now I have 300 Gal acrylic tank (8ft x 2.5ft x 2ft) and 3 random pumps I've collected. I have it filled about 1/4 with water and just circulating water, fish and aquatic plants right now. Used play sand on the bottom and volcanic rock in the overflow chambers.

I dont have it watering any plants right now and dont have edible fish in there (just guppies and goldfish for time being)... Ultimately I want to circulate the water up to some trays to grow barely fodder and trickle back down into tank where I want to raise Talpia.
20160207_144115.jpg
20160509_144737.jpg
plants grown now..
20160726_062527.jpg 20160726_062522.jpg

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feed the little floating duck weed plants to my chickens as super healthy green stuff. It has little snails in it too for extra protein :)

It multiplies at an amazing rate.

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh yeah I am Solar powered too... sell power back to power company
20151129_140331.jpg

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to start getting some solar cells, but I just can't afford it right now, but it is on the list.