+Hello from Kansas

Julie Erickson

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am from N.E. Kansas
My sufficient inspiration would be my paternal grandparents
I currently have: 1 rooster, 2 laying hens, 6 1 month old orpingtons, 2 1 month old banties (GD)
2 angoras, 2 mini lops, 1 jersey woolly, main garden is 50' x 100'
From our property (not planted) wild strawberries, wild plums, mullberries, Juniper berries.
I water bath and pressure can
healthy compost pile
we have a full woodcrafting shop everything from lathe to finished
In the future we are looking to add goats, expand the garden so I don't have to pay sales tax to the governor, and we want to go tiny as far housing. Right now we are living in the middle of Tornado Alley, on the open prairie, in a double-wide trailer house!
Crafting skills goes back grandparents. the traditional household crafts, canning, sewing, embroidery, cooking knitting crochet, a little tatting (other g'ma)
We have 40 rural acres. Looking to keep the livestock small. Chickens, rabbits, goats, maybe feeder pigs.
SIL and 16yo son are my framing crew, I do structural finish, DD is a cabinet maker
Dream Location: anywhere in the mountain woods (like Thompson Lake MT)
Planning to go off grid with tiny houses. Wood heating in the houses. Gas heating in the mechanical bldg (baths, wash/dry, canning stove.)
Love to cook, hate to clean. Much prefer using real food, not commercially processed "soylent Green"
DD wants to take up pot shotting, an abundance of small proteins.
Learned my skills at my grandparents houses. they told wonderful stories while we canned, stitched,...
Paternal G'ma family were settlers in NE Ks - Go Sod Busters!
Looking more to wind than solar
Not intentionally off grid yet. Mother nature sometimes takes us off.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome from Texas! Can't wait to hear more from you. and pictures... we love pics here and we're not shy about asking for them, lol!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
X2 the above. Welcome to the forum! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas. We have hair sheep, chickens, 2 Great Pyrenees, 1 big black Lab/Great Dane, Muscovy ducks, 3 horses and 2 feeder pigs. We also have a garden and I can, dehydrate and put up in the freezer. Can't wait to hear more about your homestead!