1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Hello From Long Island NY

Discussion in 'New Sufficient Self Member Introductions' started by LiGardener, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Jun 13, 2019
    LiGardener

LiGardener Enjoys Recycling

I am a believer in organic gardening. I have a small 1/4 acre spot here on LI where I grow fruits and vegetables in a spot to provide for me and my family. I am in the process of attempting to convince the local government to allow chickens and ducks again here in my town. I like to know where my food comes from and how it was grown. Not to mention the financial savings of self sufficiency!

2. Jun 13, 2019
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

Welcome to the group!

LiGardener likes this.
  3. Jun 13, 2019
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

4. Jun 13, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Welcome, from Texas!

LiGardener likes this.
  5. Jun 13, 2019
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

Welcome! Best of luck with your poultry ordinance change :fl

LiGardener likes this.
  6. Jun 13, 2019
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

:welcome
    Wow, you are doing a lot on your 1/4 acre lot.

Gardening is so healthy in more ways than just eating good food. For me it is a stress release, a channel for creativity, and a place to get the solitude that I need on occasion - no-one bothers me while I am weeding because I make them help, lol.

LiGardener and Lazy Gardener like this.
  7. Jun 14, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Welcome Li. If your neighborhood allows dogs, they should allow chickens. Chickens are far less disruptive in a neighborhood than dogs! (of course, this is MY opinion!) I've heard that where ducks are concerned, Indian Runners are quite quiet, and they are very good layers. @Beekissed got some this summer, and she's delighted with them.

I'm glad you are using your 1/4 acre to good advantage. I hope you start a movement of back yard farming in your neighborhood and town!

LiGardener and sumi like this.
  8. Jun 14, 2019
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

If you can possibly squeeze in a rooster, they are more useful to the flock than many people realize. A good rooster will ensure that all of his ladies get a fair share of whatever food is available, and they break up many squabbles that might start. He helps to prevent the pecking order from getting out of hand, and will do his darnedest to watch for and protect them from predators. When my nearest neighbor complained about the crowing, I fashioned rooster collars (I have 2 roosters). The rooster collar is simply a 2" wide strip of velcro that wraps around his neck - not so tightly that he has trouble breathing, but tight enough that he can't fill his voice box with enough air to make a really loud crow. So they still crow, but it is shorter and quieter now. I have received no further complaints. I have to say though, that the rooster will make you feel really guilty about putting it on at first- they keep trying to shake it off, or they will back up all over the yard trying to back out of the collar. Eventually though, they get used to it.

LiGardener and sumi like this.
  9. Jun 14, 2019
    LiGardener

I hear a good goose will do the same. unfortunately even the local towns that allow for chickens do not allow for roosters. I guess its something to do with the sunrise alarm!

10. Jun 14, 2019
    LiGardener

I am trying my darndest! i want to convert my inground pool to a sort of "underground" greenhouse!