Hello from New Member in Eastern Kansas

gardeninggirlie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi, I found this site after becoming a member of one of the sister sites and thought this site is me to a "T"!

I landscape, flower and vegetable garden, sowing most of our seeds, always mixing veggies plants in amongst the landscaping, wherever they will fit into our suburban space. I community garden to supplement our veggie supply and am a self taught canner of the harvests, having done so for 14 years. We started a backyard flock of chickens this spring and received our first egg a couple days ago! I hope to sell our eggs at the city farmer's market next spring along with some stand out specialized veggies.

I'm also a sewing hobbyist and sewing machine enthusiast and collector.

Thanks for reading and I hope to contribute in any way I can as well as glean some wonderful information here.

gardeninggirlie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just want to make sure I have something to sell that's a bit more eye catching than the standard tomatoes, cucs, and bell peppers. In years past I've done well growing English cucumbers, they've gained in popularity. This year I had good results with Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye Tomato and Rainbow Okra blend. I would also like to offer a mix of many varieties of cherry and grape tomatoes, and the same for hot peppers...let customers take home a few of many varieties to try out. And of course, we all get too many zucchini, so I'll be throwing those suckers out there too, haha!

gardeninggirlie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you!
I'm pretty excited today...we found a different egg yesterday afternoon in the coop, has to be from our other olive egger, they're the only two old enough to start laying. (The Welsummer is only 18wks) It's also olive in color but speckled, too! Since Friday's first ever egg, our two Olive Eggers have laid 4 eggs, not bad!! :celebrate

gardeninggirlie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Here's the Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye Tomato pic, found the seeds at pinetree garden seeds catalog. Most have been medium to large, very good flavor, and the prettiest pink/red and green stripes. The pic shows the first one of the season, it was a whopper!

Attachments

• IMG_20160726_164237310.jpg
    IMG_20160726_164237310.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 238

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow, those tomatoes look amazing!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cool looking tomato. I remember our first egg. It was so exciting. Congrats.