Hello from NW Georgia!

gigi56

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hubby and I are s-l-o-w-l-y creating our own little farm-lette nestled in the north Georgia mountains. We have about 1/3 acre, so every square inch is precious! Presently, we have 2 cats, three dogs, and four ducks and are currently expanding the "barn" (it's a whopping 5x7!) to house 2 small goats, 3-4 chickens, and bees. Yes, the bees will be "in" the barn (google Slovenian bee house) to regulate temperatures, save space and prevent tipping over a free-standing hive. And, yes, I know I'm weird, LOL! Normal is boring! :) We have several areas that are official "gardens," but are also stuffing non-traditional food plants in every nook and cranny. Our dwarf orchard/garden is in the front yard on one side of the drive with 28 fruiting trees, bushes, and canes and veges in the spaces between. On the other side of the drive, we have several medicinal herb beds (our neighbors stop by regularly to ask what project we're working on! LOL!) The "pasture" is the fenced in backyard which is about 50x100 feet with a "doggie moat" all the way around to keep out predators. A sort of hoop house will be in the center of the "pasture" for tender trees/bushes and winter gardening. And, we plan on transforming a storage space attached to the house into a small aquaponic greenhouse. SO many projects... so little time! :) I'm looking forward to hearing about what y'all are working on to improve my setup and sharing info too!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome! Would love to see pictures of your projects! I need to go google the Slovenian bee house....sounds cool!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome Gigi! You're not too far from us. :) (We're in NE Alabama.) I'd really like to see pictures too. That sounds amazing on such a small plot but very well planned! We're also planning bees in the very near future.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS! :) Your place and projects sound great, even more so since it's a small space you're putting so much into. We would love to see pics of what you're up to, especially that bee house, and everything else. I'm myself working on a tiny piece of land and love seeing and hearing what others are doing to maximise their space.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NH! I'm off to google Slovenian bee houses myself... We have a bit of a temperature issue here (-20 isn't unheard of).

Sounds like you have a very cool little homestead started, can't wait to hear more about it!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow! I'm so impressed by everything you've been able to fit into your space! Amazing!!!!! :bow i am so happy you have joined! You will certainly inspire me to make more of the space I have! i would love to see photos! Fascinating!

gigi56

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Here are a few recent photos. The little duck house is 5x7, but will be 12x13 when finished. The pond is 3 years old now and looking good, it was pretty sad looking before the plants got established. We just started on the front yard last year. The garden was in the backyard, but that is going to be pasture now, so everything is being moved to the front. The neighbors will just have to suck it up. LOL! The orchard looks "fuzzy" because of the wheatgrass growing in it. We'll be tilling that in soon. The trees are very young, so they look like twiggy sticks! One of my kitties is inspecting a salad bed that will eventually become a comfrey bed to feed the goats and garden, and for medicine. That's all I have pics of right now. I'll post more later. Thank you all for your encouragement! :)

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 171
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG