Hello from Southern New England

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi, all,

Nearly time to head out into the brick and mortar world for some errands, but just joined here, wanted to wave at you all and send a smile. (c:

More soon, if all goes well.

Actually, let me toss this one out there. I want to make my own bedding for my critters - currently buying shavings and pressed sawdust pellets and chopped straw. I have access to leaves in the fall, and oodles of twigs and small branches.

Ideally, I would like to find a chipper-shredder and make my own bedding. I do not want any machine that requires direct input of petroleum (I phrased it that way in case someone was tempted to educate me about how electricity comes from petroleum - except that some of us have hydro (c; and PV )

Anyone experienced with this? In a really perfect world it would be manually operated. Yes, I know that would require some real oomph and a heavy flywheel…..

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Texas! Don't know about the shredding the bedding, but maybe someone here can help!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome Don't know about making the bedding, but I'm looking forward to hearing what others might suggest. I have used pine needles for bedding for my chickens.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome!

I cut some of the canary grass one year, dried it, and used it for bedding in the coop. I haven't again because I'm afraid of impacted crops and dumb birds.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Waving hello :frow Lovely to see you over here!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! I don't know enough about it to offer any good ideas for a chipper shredder other than to throw out the idea of trying to convert one to use a bicycle for power...

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the greetings, all :frow

Got waylaid a bit by an allergic reaction to what I think is a spider bite. No worries, I am well.